How to sharpen picture on Hitachi 57SWX20b

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt D K, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Matt D K

Matt D K Stunt Coordinator

I have read alot about making adjustments on this unit thru the service menu but can't nail down on how to "sharpen " the picture. I can live with the slight color irregularities... but the picture is driving me NUTS! I can't believe the picture can't get better than this on DVD or HD cable. Am I expecting too much from this set? Am I sitting too close? (about 11') Please offer any suggestions.
    Thanx
    Matt

2. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Matt I have virtually the same tv, (the TWX model), and I too sit about 11' from the set.

When I first bought the set, I thought it did a poor job on low rez feeds like cable and DirecTV. However, after I let the set settle for a bit, and calibrated the settings using AVIA, the set looks great. Even poor quality cable and DirecTV look pretty good, a bit soft, but nice.

To make it "sharper" you need to calibrate your set using a DVD like AVIA or Video Essentials. They do more than just correct the color (which they do as well), but they allow you to find the optimal settings for your particular TV and viewing area.

3. Matt D K

MikeM
    Thanks for the reply. I used the "Sound & Vision" version of the calibration DVD to set it up after it had been on for about 10 hours. It did improve, but I guess I'm expecting better. DVD's are my biggest complaint. I have a JVC DVD with progressive scan output(yes I changed the settings on the DVD player to use progressive output) The picture just isnot as sharp as I would have thought. I can understand it on analog cable feeds (don't like it, but can understand.) My digital cable feed is better, and the HD cable feed is of course better yet, but here again not what I expected. I feel there must be some adjustments in the service menu that can help this situation, but can't seem to find any info about where/what to adjust. This is where i desperately need some assistance.

Thanks again in advance
    Matt

4. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    Matt - What do you have your Sharpness set to? Also, I'm sure you do but I'll ask anyway, you are connecting your DVD player to the Hitachi via component input, correct? There's no way that digital cable should look better than progressive DVD on your set, which looks absolutely stunning on my 57SWX20B.

5. Matt D K

Doug,
    My sharpness is set to 34. I have double checked my cables and they are correct ( and they are monster cabel m500 series) I even bypassed my a/v receiver ( has component switching capabilities) and seemed to improve somewhat.
    Thanks

6. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Want crisper imaging?

Tighten up your convergence and do the E-focus and M-focus on the TV to make sure they are not off.

After that, it's about all there is in terms of crispness aka sharpness.

Conversely, if you are hesitant about doing these physical tweaks ... may want to see out professional services.

Regards

7. Matt D K

This is

8. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Yes ... can do yourself.

E-focus ... take off from speaker panel ... take off wood cover. See black e-focus block ... 3 knobs ... clearly labeled.

M-focus ... unscrew front screen panel. Remove ... and reattach one rung further up ... will allow a 6 inch gap to reach in to do M-focus while still watching image.

Regards

9. Matt D K

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! THis is what I was looking for! I will try it this afternoon and post results.

Thanks again!
    Matt

10. Matt D K

Oh, What about the convergence adjustment?

11. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

See instruction manual. Multipoint convergence.

Regards

12. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    Matt - Michael offers good advice, but please, PLEASE be very careful when adjusting the static focus pots on your Hitachi. The LOWER row of 3 knobs are what you want: red, green and blue focus from left to right. The UPPER row of knobs SHOULD NOT BE TOUCHED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. You can totally screw up your grayscale and color balance by messing with them. There are several good threads on Hitachi tweaks over at AVSForum.com, and I'd highly recommend you read them before attempting something like static focus adjustment. Just use the forum search function.

Bypassing your receiver for component connections is a great idea. It's always good to have as few things in the signal path as possible. Another question for you: what DVD player are you using?

As for your sharpness setting, it's my belief that 50 on Hitachi sets is actually no sharpness at all. Anything above 50 on mine starts adding artificial edge enhancement to the image, as you'd expect, but start going BELOW 50 and fine detail begins to blur away until it's finally unwatchable at 0. There has been some discussion of this at AVSForum. Maybe Michael can add something here.

Also remember that a large, HD display will show the faults and glitches on DVD transfers much more than a smaller TV. Some DVDs are truly spectacular and other look like crud. Try throwing discs like LOTR:Fellowship of the Ring EE, Star Wars Episode II:Attack of the Clones, or Ice Age into your player and see how they look. Let me reiterate that digital cable should not look anywhere near as good as progressive DVD on your set.

13. Matt D K

Doug, Thanks for the reply... unfortunately, it's a litle late. I found out the hard way about the upper 3 pots. I barely touched them and HOLY &*^% !! I tried to get them back to original, but may be off a touch... I think it's probably off less than I think it is in my head... Is there a good process for verifying these? I may just return it for another one ( just over a week old) , but that would be kind of a pain.

As far as the DVD player, it a JVC XV-S65. I'm sure it's not the best in the world, but it does have progressive scan and I got a great deal on it. Beleive it or not, SW AOTC is one of the DVD's i've been using as kind of a reference... not as good as I thought it would be. LOTR, well you could play this on the side of a box with a flashlight and it would still be awesome [​IMG]) !!

Thanks again
    Matt

14. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    If you only touched one of them, you could probably eyeball it back w/ one of the grey steps patterns on AVIA (or VE or S&V). But since you can still return it, might as well just do that instead.

On the Panny RPTVs, they are called screen pots and are also right above (or below) the E-focus pots on the same box just like you guys describe for the Hitachi's.

_Man_