How to set up/use WEP?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by NickSo, Jun 28, 2004.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I recieved my wifi router in the mail today. Im using it as an AP, and have it set up fine in that aspect.

For the security, so far i've changed the SSID, turned off the broadcasting of the SSID, and did the mac address filtering.

Ive been playing around with the WEP encryption, but i dont understand some things.

For the keys, do i just make them up?
    Do i need to enter a new key in every time i want to access the network?
    If I want a new user to join the network, how do i get the laptop to 'see' the network (i turned off the SSID broadcasting)?
    In some places of my home, there are stray wifi signals from neighbors (who have no encryption, and are broadcasting their SSID, so i can connect to them easily). How do I make it so I specify i want to connect to MY certain router?

Thanks

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

You need to make a WEP key up. The key will be static, everything uses the same key.

To get a new device on your network you'll need them to set up a new profile manually with the ssid and the WEP key. Since your not broadcasting your ssid (which is good) they can't just arbitraily connect.

On your laptop you need to set up a profile with only the ssid you want to connect to and tell your wifi program to only connect to user set profiles.

I'm sorry that I'm having to be vague, but different prgrams go about things in different ways.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    okay, so for each lappy ill have to set up a profile with the SSID name, the channel, the WEP keys, and whenever the laptop is within signal range and needs to connect, ill just load the profile set up for the network?

Playing around with it, i think i'm close to gettin it running. Thanks

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Sounds like like you have the right idea; also as long as you leave that profile up, the computer will automatically attempt to connect.