What's new

How to set up a tv monitor to cable... (2 Viewers)

shaxmatist

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris McDade
Here is the scenario: Last week, my desktop monitor died. I'm not sure why, but it simply died. LG wanted $200 to fix it, so I bought a new FullHDTV monitor, which I really like. Here is the problem. I would like to use the full capabilities of the included remote, which has PIP and other features. However, the monitor does not recognize the signal from my cable box. (It's plugged into the monitor with a component connection) I did try the HDMI route, but apparently, the tv monitor only recognizes tv signals fed into the coax connector. So, I thought about splitting the signal from the cable, (haven't tried it yet) but I'm thinking the signal will be scrambled.
Does this scenario make sense? If so, I would like to hear any advice from experts who have conquered this problem.
I'd be happy to supply images if that would be helpful.
Thanks so much for any friendly advice.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
Images of both the cable box and the back of the TV. Is it a monitor or a TV?
I have split coax cables before and it works just fine, but you are routing through a cable box and I have no idea about cable TV service in S. Korea.

shaxmatist

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris McDade
Here are some images of the setup:
541fbdd5_cablebox.gif

b1cc1aaf_tvmonitorback.gif

After some reflection, it may not be possible to get the tv/monitor functions to work with this setup. What do you experts think?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm thinking you haven't changed the cable signal to 720P/1080I/p yet.
Again, we don't know much about your area...but maybe the monitor only wants a HD signal???
There is no reason the HDMI shouldn't work.
I see you have a 1080I/720P/480P480I switch, where is that set?
And I'm not "up" on cable boxes in your area, but sometimes you also have to turn on the HD...which turns on the component and HDMI. Most cable boxes here in the US, once you turn on the HDMI...the other outputs get turned off.

shaxmatist

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris McDade
Thank you for your ideas. Excellent suggestions. The switch is set to 1080. I did try the HDMI, but the monitor, for some odd reason won't recognize the input signal from the cable box. Maybe, it is quirky. :) For example, I can plug my iPad into the HDMI slot and get it to work well, but sometimes, it requires plugging and unplugging the connection. The USB port works well and is actually pretty nifty. I can get the PIP to pop up, but again, no signal. I did try splitting the coax cable and the cable box was fine, but still no recognition from the monitor. Oh well. It's not that important. It just seems strange to get a tv/monitor with a remote that doesn't function. :) A cable rep dropped by, but he didn't have an answer, either. It's time to let the problem incubate for a while. :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Where do you have the yellow video composite going?
For future reference...
yellow=composite
red, blue and green=component
You have the component labeled composite in the picture.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I also now have a theory...
"cable boxes"(throwing dish based in the whole lot) have gotten smart. They know when composite is connected. It "could be" that your cable box only allows one connection at a time and when you have composite and component connected, the component won't work? (just an idea)
What model LG is this, we might have the same model here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks