How to set the level for the rear surround for TX-SR600?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Spencer, May 6, 2002.

1. Jason Spencer

Jason Spencer Stunt Coordinator

I have the TX-SR600 and am still playing with the settings for the surround levels. I haven't watched many movies yet, but haven't noticed them doing as much as I expected. I'm going to get the AVIA disk soon, but since it only does 5.1 (I think?), how should I set the level of the rear surrounds?

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The (newer) Sound & Vision set up DVD includes 6.1 tests. DD EX and DTS-ES. Has a lot of the same tests as Avia.

Supposedly, someday, there's going to be a newer Avia and Video Essentials. But for now, the S&V disc is a nice one.

3. Steve Gingras

You and me both brother. I just bought Boston CR65s for the rear surrounds for my 600 and I really have to crank their level higher than the fronts to hear anything. Not happy.

cheers,

Steve

4. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

I am currently using a set of little minimus 7s in my home theater as surrounds. My Audax HT surrounds have not yet been wired (electrician will not show up).

When you think about it, alot of surrounds may not be efficient as your mains. Also, some DVDs just don't have much activity in the surrounds.

Watch the Omaha Beach chapter of Saving Private Ryan or the opening scene in Star Wars Episode One. They'll really get your surrounds going.

BTW, I have the Onkyo SR600, I have had no problems with the surrounds. The test tones on the setup menus come pretty close to the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up (actually, they are almost identical).

5. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

Thats the truth.. episode I cranked the rear surround... infact it was almost too loud! Where can one find the sound and vision dvd?

jim

6. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

Circuit City or Best Buy have the Sound and Vision CD. It has a pretty good video tune-up as well. Really improves the picture with DVDs.

7. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

never mind.. found it for $12.. not a bad little pick up [​IMG]

8. Steve Gingras

Ahh...found the S&V DVD at best buy. Sound calibration tests were not much more helpful than what is built into the 600, although I might change that tune if I had a sub. The explanations on the disk were great though. Also, the Dolby Digital logo demos proved to me that my rear surrounds work great. Apparently, almost every movie I have tried to date just doesn't really make good use of them. :-(

cheers,

Steve