How to set contrast level when it never blooms?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Proud, Aug 15, 2001.

1. David Proud

David Proud Stunt Coordinator

Ok Guys. I have a sony wega XBR400 32" size and feed my tv a progressive signal. When using AVIA, or video essentials test I have no Idea where to set the contrast level b/c it never blooms and does not loose focus. I can take it to the max and it doesn't even bend the line. Does this mean I should set the contrast at max? surely not I would think. I set my contrast at about 60% the same as my brightness level is at.
    Any ideas on how to set the correct contrast levels?
    ------------------
    View Live streaming video of my theater room 24X7 HTTP://WWW.DAVIDSTHEATER.COM

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Suggested contrast is at most 50% for CRT direct view and at most 33% for CRT RPTV and FPTV. This is suggested to keep uneven screen wear to a minimum. Then complete the other adjustments around this.
    You can let your personal preferences override this just as amp. tone controls are for personal preference as well as optimizing the system for the room acoustics.
    (For those set owners finding blooming occurring sooner, set the contrast still lower so it is not blooming.)
    Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
    [Edited last by Allan Jayne on August 15, 2001 at 11:22 AM]

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Try looking at the grey bars. Adjust so that each bar is twice as bright as the bar below it.
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Also, watch the top box and as you tick up the contrast, see the point where the box looks a nice white and not a grayish white to your eyes. Most likely, your contrast/white level setting will end up around that point somewhere. Also, readjust the black level (brightness) after setting the contrast.
    cheers,
    --tom

5. Dave K

Dave K Extra

David,
    I had a Sony similar to yours. The easiest way I found to get the correct contrast is with the Video Essentials montage. Go to the scene where the camera is panning across a bridge, where you are looking up at the bridge from the ground. Adjust up the contrast until you can just BARELY make out the support beams underneath the bottom of the span. Your contrast will be nearly perfect at that point.

6. David Proud

David Proud Stunt Coordinator

On the VE DVD what chapter would I find that scene?
    thanks,
    David
    ------------------
    View Live streaming video of my theater room 24X7 HTTP://WWW.DAVIDSTHEATER.COM

7. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter