What's new

How to set amplifier gain? (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I have it very low, because I read somewhere it's best to have a good strong signal from the head unit rather than just amplifying a weak signal via the amp gain.

So what's yours set at.. low/medium/high? Any rule of thumb on setting it?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Just a basic system. Alpine 9813 > RF 551X > Focal Polyglass Components & Coax's. About 70wx4. thanks

DonnyD

Screenwriter
A general rule of thumb is to turn the amp gain all the way down, turn your HU volume to about 3/4, then slowly turn your amp gain up until you hear clipping or distortion, then back the amp gain down just a tad.

Second option, check your specs on the HU to see how many volt output it has and set the amp accordingly.

Jared Rachwalsk

Auditioning
Rule of thumb....set it to what sounds best.

Ask any installer and 9/10 times they set it by ear.

Unless you are competing, then they only thing that matters is how it sounds to you.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
How convienient, this was my next thread. Do any of you know where I can get a simply 1khz unclipped with no attenuation as a singly track??? I saw Sean's link and it looks like I can use Track#6 on CD#2, however, I am on dialup and I'm not downloading 148MBs of data on dialup! I was wondering if anybody has a link to a simply 10 second track consisting of the above spec. I have an AC voltmeter already so all I need is the test tone...

Jay

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"simply 1khz unclipped with no attenuation as a singly track"

What the?

HUH!

Brent

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Go to:

PDF file below:

http://totoro.efiregate.net/HTMLPage...20for%20CD.pdf

Goto page 2, take a look at the track listings for CD#2. I want track#6, I don't want any other tracks, I don't need to hear what clipping sounds like and I don't need to make this into a PhD dissertation! I just want a test tone!

Don't need it anytime soon, if I can't find one elsewhere, I'll wait til I'm back to work and download it there.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks