What's new

How to secure rope lights? (1 Viewer)

BrianKR

Second Unit
I just got done putting my crown molding up in one part of my HT room and my rope lights look uneven when lit. I tired adjusting them but I need something to hold it in a straight line.

The brackets that came with the lights wont do the trick.

Mark Barnhill

Stunt Coordinator
The home depot here in nashville has a continuous clear plastic track to hold rope lights. they come in 36" lengths and are self adhesive.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Rope light tracks https://ssl.adhost.com/noveltylights...?pid=49&step=4

I just installed my ropes lights last night using these, they worked great. They are also pretty cheap and the shipping was reasonable and didn't take long (ordered on Sunday night, got them yesterday).

The tracks are not pre drilled so you will need to drill them, very easy.

Good luck.

Mark Barnhill

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, yes, that is exactly what I was talking about, except the ones I used had a peel and stick adhesive on the back.
Instead of screws, you could use double stick tape with these.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Mark-- I'd be interested to find out from you:

I bought some HD tracks a couple months ago for my poster boxes. The plastic tape on the back was a PAIN-IN-THE-A$$ to separate from the adhesive strip. On half of my strips I lost a couple inches of adhesive-- it stuck to the protective tape and separated from its foam backing! I lost the adhesive on one whole strip. What a PAIN.

Did you have any problems with the HD tracks?

Mark Barnhill

Stunt Coordinator
No, absolutely no problems at all. Sounds like you got some old ones. Usually adhesive does that when it gets too old. I've had sheets of old plexiglass that was impossible to get the protective paper off of.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Yes, that's what I assumed. They were on display in a PVC pipe attached to the shelving units in the lighting dept. It was obviously not a hot-selling item, as there was dust all over them. Oh well... it all worked out in the end.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Yes, Brian... I replaced the old fittings, when I saw the channels on Erik Farstad's well-documented HT site. My Sunbeam rope lights came with little C-shaped clips that fit over the rope every 6-inches or so. I always hated the slight waviness in the ropes, so I pulled off all the old clips and ran the channels around the inside of the poster boxes. I was instantaneously pleased with the new look. :D Just one of those things that most people wouldn't notice, but bugs the heck outta ya, when you build something yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks