How to run multiple TV's off a single comp?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Tony Loewen, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Tony Loewen

Tony Loewen Stunt Coordinator

Nov 21, 2003
    Hey guys, I'm trying to design a system and figure out if it's possible and what I'll need. Here's what I want to do. I have a computer that I am going to start to beef up into a server-level machine and have it central in the house. I will have a wireless network set up for a laptop and a palm pilot or two with wireless adaptors. I am getting a TV tuner card for the "server" that I can hook up cable/sat/vcr to, and the machine will have likely 2 cd/dvd drives (one just a read, the other a combo burner). Now the trickier part. I want to run svideo from the server to (eventually) 4 or 5 tv's, and vga to a monitor, and a lcd or dlp projector, with audio ran to each as well (digital audio out to a 6.1 or 7.1 reciever in the theatre). I would like every TV and theatre to work independant of each other, ie I would like to be able to watch, for example, a DVD on the projector in the theatre, channel 72 on one of the TV's in the bedroom, an mpeg or avi of an instructional cooking video in the kitchen, and a satellite show in the living room at the same time. I would like to use the wireless palm pilots to access a menu on the server, to essentially work as selectable "remote controls" for each TV.

Is there such a thing as a video-out breakout box that can be configured to run as described, and well as a similar audio setup? Would I have to get another case to accommodate separate video and audio cards? I would like to run at different resolutions, so I could get optimal quality out of the projector at the same time as using ntsc svideo signals to the tv's.

Any help or links to any informational pages would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Tony Loewen
  2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Jan 18, 1999
    LOL, I run a TV tuner on a P4 2 gig machine, and I can't use a scroll mouse on a website without getting dropouts.

Unless 99% of tall this work is done on custom hardware items, there is no machine that has the processing to handle all these.

I'm not sure the appeal of rolling this into one machine anyway-- as you're trying to different things in different locations- I dont understand the appeal of centralizing this on one PC and trying to run cables.

If youre looking for cutting edge HTPC and media serving, tune to AVS forum.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Feb 29, 2000
    [​IMG] You'd have to get multiple PCs if you want to do all that stuff. Maybe when the Pentium 6 comes out we can but by then your CPU will be busy processing 10mbps+ of HD video and we'll be back to square one. [​IMG]