How to run cables through wall/ceiling?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by John Nagy, Jan 7, 2004.

1. John Nagy

John Nagy Auditioning

As soon as I finish the recessed lights and a couple other things I'm going to tackle running all the wires to and from the near future PJ location.

It's between 24 and 27 feet from my AV gear location to the planned ceiling PJ mount. I plan to run (at a minimum) a DVI, set of component, S-video, and a composite video cable. I'll probably put in a few pieces of string or old cheap speaker cable in case I need to pull future cables through. The plan is into the wall, up to the ceiling, inside the ceiling between the joists and out to the PJ.

How do I neatly run the cables into and out of the drywall? I don't want to put any additional plugs into the wall or ceiling that could introduce noice into the video streams. I need some sort of plastic hole liner that will look nice with so many cables coming out of it.

What are you guys using for your PJ cable runs?

Pictures and links are greatly appreciated.

John

2. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

John, I ran a straight shot from my equipment room to my PJ location, and housed all the cables in previously placed PVC. You can see what I did by visiting my website below! [​IMG]

I then ran my cables down my projector mount "pipe" so you don't see cables coming "out of the drywall" or anything...worked out great. That too can be seen, as is every step of my theater, by following the link below!

E

3. John Nagy

John Nagy Auditioning

You have one of the nicest mounts (and cable runs) I've seen so far. The problem is I haven't decided how to mount the PJ yet. I will probably hang it with some sort of DIY mount with a 3/4" MDF square on the ceiling like yours.

I was thinking I could just have some sort of wall type outlet cover with cords sticking out of it. The biggest problem is the DVI cable since it has such a big head on it. The component cables are not bigger than the cable so I could probably drill holes in a blank outlet cover and stick them all through those.

I've looked at Home Depot and Lowes but haven't seen anything that looks suitable yet. It almost needs to be like a office furniture type cable run that I've seen. Just stuff all the cables through and then plug up the extra space with a plastic spacer. Hmmm, maybe work won't notice any missing...

4. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Thanks for the kind words...I'm building a new mount as well...the plastic one just bugs me! [​IMG]

You can find wall plates that have one large hole in the middle for a single outlet...like this one:

[​IMG]

I used one in my euquipment room, where the cables come down from the ceiling...but that picture is not shown on my website "yet!" [​IMG]

Any HomeDepot has them! Good luck in your search and let me know if I can help in anyway!

E