What's new

how to replace video card fan and with what?? (1 Viewer)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I have a radeon 8500LE 128mb from sapphire and the fan is moaning and slowing down. I should be OK if the fan stops because the card is a clocked down unit.

BUT

I'd like to replace the fan and was wondering what to do and what precautions to take??

What should I replace it with?? it MUST be inexpensive and I would prefer a fan.

Any idea and links would be faa aaahn tastic!

Thanks
Brent

Chris M

Second Unit
Fan's are redily available at computer part stores, just take in your old one and get the same one.. it should come off your card with about 4 screws. Or if you want to get a solution that will allow over clocking, as well as quieter, longer life, you can go for the zalman ZM80C-HP VGA Heatpipe Cooler ($50CDN).

The fan itself should be no more than $10.

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Brentl dude,

Chris is correct and I know for a fact that the Zalman ZM80C works great on my Radeon 9700 pro without a fan. A fan is optional if you really want it. :)

Good luck dude,

Chester

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Not sure about the Sapphire, but I know ATI 8500s fans were just glued to the GPU so you might be best to put the card in the freezer and then pull it out and twist the HSF to pop it off. Then let it warm so you can clean up all the thermal paste. You'll have to mount a new fan by putting one theraml paste on the GPU and leaving the corners dry to dab either epoxy or super glue to actually hold it on. It really isn't as scary as it sounds if you've never done something like it. Then just bring your old fan to store like CompuUSA to buy a similar sized HSF. Also you probably won't be able to connect it using the cards power connector, you'll probably use a standard 4-pin molex on the PSU or 3-pin fan header on your motherboard.

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
I just fixed a vid. card fan that I thought I was going to have to replace, and it was really easy & cost about $2.49.

Just unscrew the fan from the heatsink, remove any stickers over the hub of the fan & put a dab (just a tiny drop!) of household oil into the hub. Give it a couple of spins with your finger & voila! Worked like a charm for me.

Worth trying if your fan is on its way out anyway...

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Yep, mine is one of those "stuck on" fans, I've heard of the freezer idea and will five it a try.

I might consider a Zalman if I can't get a good card when I build my HTPC.

any links with photos on how to do this?? I'm a visual person.

Thanks
Brent

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Brentl fly dude,

Just go to the Zalman website Link Removed

Find the ZM80c page and there's a good installation video. The instructions in the packaging is also well done...

Dude,

Chester

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks