What's new

How to replace an AV-15 with a Tumult (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Stanton

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Tumult Users:

I've got an Acoustic Visions/Stryke 5 cubic foot sub with a fried AV-15 in it. The Tumult I'm going to replace the AV-15 with is on the way, so I figure I'd better get an idea of exactly what I need to do to swap the drivers. Is it as simple as unscrewing the AV-15 and dropping the Tumult in its place?

Should I have the box sitting driver-side-up or sitting in the side-firing position when I remove the AV-15 and replace it with the Tumult?

Do I use the same screw holes for the Tumult that were used for the AV-15 (will the holes for the Tumult line up exactly with the AV-15 holes)? Or do I need to sink new holes?

What do I need to do to make sure the Tumult is sealed to the box (i.e., no leaks)? Will screwing it in be all I need to do?

Anything else I might need to know or watch out for?

Thanks,

Jeff Stanton :)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

You'll have to wire the Tumult's VC's in series if you're using a single amp channel to power it. The AV15 should already be wired this way so it should be pretty straightforward. I think having the box driver side up is easiest for install/removal.

AFAIK, the Tumult and AV15 use the same exact baskets so it should be a drop in replacement as far as screw holes, etc.

The only other thing I know to watch for is your back.

Jeffrey Stanton

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Brian:

Thanks for the info. It sounds simple enough, I just wanted to make sure it's as simple as it sounds.

As far as the amplifier goes, I've got a Mackie 1400i and I guess I can either bridge it for 1400 watts OR use both channels, one for each VC...does it matter which way I do it?

Thanks,

Jeff S.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it matters as long as it can handle a 2 ohm load in stereo. Do you have single or dual binding posts on the enclosure?

Jeffrey Stanton

Stunt Coordinator
Mackie says the 1400i will run into a 2 ohm load all day long. :emoji_thumbsup:

The box has dual binding posts, John J. wired the AV-15 in series...

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to here about your fried AV Jeff. Things happen, but you really ought to like the Tumult. I know you liked your AV. Did you get a full credit on your AV then and do you plan on posting your impressions on the Tumult compared to the AV15?
:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeffrey Stanton

Stunt Coordinator
I will post plenty re: the Tumult as things progress.

I'm going to use the box the Tumult comes in to send the AV-15 back to John or Kyle (actually, I'm not sure who I'm supposed to send it to) so it can get fixed. I'll use it as a back-up woofer in case anything happens to the Tumult, God forbid...

I bought a BFD to EQ the sub, and will probably need some help from the BFD experts in flattening response after I take some measurements.

Unfortunately I never really got to use the AV-15 close to its potential. I only had 350 watts from a Rythmic Audio amp instead of the 700 watts I wanted to feed it. I bought my Rat Shack SPL meter and the VERY first measurement I took (at 90 dB) was when the AV-15 started "chirping". :frowning:

That's when I decided to quit farting around and bought the Tumult, the 1400 watt pro amp, and the BFD. :emoji_thumbsup: Enough is enough. And hopefully this should just about do it.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
If you've got dual binding posts then just run wire from each set of binding posts to each voice coil independently. Then you can run the VC's in series, parallel, or even stereo just by changing the wiring at the binding posts on the outside.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
A talk to Kyle or John might also be necessary due to the different driver's possible depth and might intefere with an internal brace (I haven't seen the inside of it yet).

Jeffrey Stanton

Stunt Coordinator
Hard to say until someone takes a look at it. Could of been a bad driver or amp clipping or some combination of the two.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

I think you'll be quite pleased with the Tumult. Mine is in a sealed enclosure with an LT circuit and 800W and sounds great. It's not the SPL monster that your sub will be, but it does extremely well for HT and is very accurate for 2 channel audio as well.

Jeffrey Stanton

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Brian:

You think that Adire's XBL^2 tech gives the Tumult a "leg up" over non-XBL^2 drivers? Was wondering if this was a little bit of hype or if you can tell if there's less distortion or what...

Also what would be a good recommendation to keep in mind so I don't scorch/bottom out my voice coil once I get up and running? The amp I'll be using is rated 1400 watts, but I could probably still wreck my VC if I tried real hard though, huh? :angry: :thumbsdown:

All my clip limiters will tell me is whether or not the amp is clipping. Fine. But how do I know if the VC is close to bottoming OR if it's getting too hot? I want to avoid the Star Wars pod race debacle you were involved in.;) :thumbsdown:

Jeff S.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

IMO, the XBL^2 technology is no joke. As Dan Wiggins stated, the Tumult should be equal to dual Tempests for overall output, but once you get past the dual Tempests' clean output capabilities the Tumult will still be coasting. Therefore, for clean output Dan likens the Tumult to 3 Tempests.

I noticed absolutely no audible distortion from my Tumult until one of the VC's gave up. Keep in mind I was using 2500W at the time and an LT circuit so I was asking the Tumult to work much harder than you will be pushing it. I'd still make sure that you had the sub calibrated properly if you are going to use the full 1400W though. I'd start out using one channel first and then only running the amp bridged if you feel you aren't getting enough output.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks