What's new

How to replace a FS DVD with OAR version? (1 Viewer)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I have a bit of a dilema. My fiance received for Christmas the Grinch movie from last year, with Jim Carrey. But I opened it before I realized, despite the large type on the front cover, that it was full-screen only. Doh!
Obviously I would like the OAR version. But we don't have a receipt for it, and even so, it's already been opened... At first I thought I might be able to take it somewhere, say it was defective, and replace it with the OAR version, but then I realized that since they probably have different UPC numbers, and the defective replacement policy only applies to the exact same item, that might not work. The only way I might be able to use the defective replacement policy is if they didn't have any more full screen versions left in the store, and that's not too likely.
Does anyone have any better idea of how I can swap this FS version for the OAR version? Also, can anyone tell me if the FS version is pan&scan, or open matter. Thanks! :)

Steve Owen

Second Unit
Depends on where it was bought, but I'd be willing to bet that most places would exchange it since it's "for the same title".

I had a similar problem back in the VHS days with an anime tape bought at Suncoast. I accidentally bought the english dubbed version and what I wanted was the sub-titled version. I actually didn't realize there were two versions since I'd seen the sub-titled version at a friends house. They took the exchange with no questions asked.

-Steve

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
A thought: say it's defective (it is, after all -- the movie is not the one the director meant to show you) and get a replacement full screen copy. Then, take that SEALED copy to another store in the same change and explain that you received it as a gift and would like to exchange for the widescreen version. Voila.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I don't think it really matters where it came from, since we don't have a receipt. Actually, I don't really know where it came from. So we could try this anywhere...but this being the time of year it is, retailers are usually more generous with their exchange policies. We might just try to do it somewhere the honest way first, saying look, I know this is open but I didn't realize until it was too late, etc. That would work best at a smaller store where the people understand better how important OAR is, in other words, maybe it might work at Suncoast but not Best Buy.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Except now MANY stores will open the new copy right in front of you to prevent just such a scheme. Best Buy stores do this now.

C. Ryan

AdamW

Agent
I've tried something similar to that before, and most retailers will open the package right in front of you so the chance of that working is slim.

JustinT

Stunt Coordinator
The same thing happened to me with Jurassic Park 3. I just sold it on ebay for $17.50. If taking it back doesn't work, try that, none of the bidders cared that it had been opened.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I was a retail store manager for 10 years. Listen, right after Christmas they are so busy they don't bother with most of their policies concerning exchanges/returns.

Stores that usually open the replacement in front of you probably won't. If they do, then you're no worse off than you were a moment ago...try the same thing at a different chain.

Some places might even cut you some slack if you just go to them, say "I got this as a Christmas gift, I was told by the giver that it was bought at your store, and I opened it up and put it in before I realized it wasn't widescreen. I just want an even exchange for the widescreen version, and while we're ringing that up I'll buy this other title I want. Will you do it?".

Most places will say "yes". If they don't, you might reconsider ever shopping there again. You might even call a district manager and complain, or at least threaten to and ASK FOR THE PHONE #. Heck, ask for the corporate # too, while you're at it.

Most of the time, if you escalate a problem to the DM or home office, they will give you everything you ask for within reason. Mgr's know this, and so try to avoid the whole situation of getting calls from above and will make the exception right there in the store. The key thing is to not make a scene...store employees will dig in their heels. "If we give in to THIS dude making a scene, then everyone will make a scene to get their way". Be polite but firm, and perhaps a tad cross but never insulting.

If you don't get satisfaction at the store level, go ahead and escalate...you've got nothing to lose, right? "The squeaky wheel gets greased"...and you're not asking for the moon. The stores can send back that opened P&S copy for a full credit and lose nothing; believe me!! Esp. right after Christmas!

My story: we got 2 copies of Splash (I gave one to my wife, and she had given one to me). The copy I bought at Borders was cheaper, so Stephanie gave me her Best Buy receipt to return the copy she bought. The receipt was for LOTS of stuff from under the tree, and it was dated 10/27 (she buys *early*). In line at BB, a dude in front of me was freaking out because the receipt for the gift he was returning also shows a purchase in late October, just like mine. He was cursing and yelling; the supervisor that was called over stated that BB's Christmas Return policy was "for items purchased on or after Nov. 1st"; items bought prior to that were subject to the normal 30-day return policy, and would not be returned. The angry dude pointed out that people were returning items without[/i] receipt for store credit, and he *HAD* a BB receipt, it was just a few days too old. Supervisor said she sympathized, but since she already knew his purchase was prior to 11/1 then nothing could be done. He cursed some more, she said she didn't have to listen to that and walked away. He went to go find the manager, who I'm pretty sure would bend the policy for this guy. I'm not sure if he got satisfaction or not, though.

Me? I pocketed my receipt, pretended I didn't have one, and quickly got a store credit for the extra copy with no muss or fuss. :D

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Of course we are all assuming here that there are stores near him that carry the OAR version. You might want to just mail it back to the studio along with a nice letter. (Ok, sort of nice!).

Glenn

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Well, it turned out to be a very simple thing for my fiance to do. She went to Wal*Mart, got the sticker from the greeter on the one she was bringing back, went to electronics, got the OAR copy off the shelf, took them both to customer service, and they let her do a simple defective item exchange. She said there was no problem at all; the issue of them not being the exact same item was never raised. I'm guessing either Wal*Mart doesn't care if it's a different version, as long as it's the same movie, or else the person she dealt with didn't know that the two were different, and just over-rode whatever error the computer raised.
And they didn't open her new copy, either.
Actually, I was a bit surprised that Wally World even had the OAR version in stock. From some of the things I've read here in the past, I'd thought that if there were two separate versions, they would likely only stock the FS version.
Nobody here answered my other question, about if the FS version was Open Matte or P&S...but judging by the quick look we took at it before taking it back, I'd say it was P&S. There are scenes where Jim Carrey's Grinch face filled the entire screen, and I can't imagine that his forehead and chin were supposed to be cut off (or, er, "matted out," I suppose is the correct technical term).
So thanks to everyone for your suggestions and advice. Problem solved! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.