What's new

How To Repair Internet Explorer (1 Viewer)

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
I've been getting quite a few errors with IE 5.5 lately. I'm running [/b]Win2K Pro[/b]. I know in Win98 you can go to Add/Remove Programs, select IE, click Remove, and you get a dialog box with 3 choices and one is to repair. Not so In Win2K. IE is not listed in the Add/Remove box. I tried seaching the help files in both IE and Windows to no avail. I thought I've done this before in Win2K but I'm drawing a complete blank.
Any ideas guys?

Bill Geiger

Second Unit
Have you done a Windows update? I would do that because there it will find any downloads needed not just for your Windows, but your IE as well.

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
I forgot to mention that Bill. Sorry. Yes I've done a few Windows Updates and this hasn't solved the problem.

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
No I haven't installed IE 6. There are a few subtle differences between it and 5.5 which I don't like. That's why I want to repair this version which has always worked flawlessly in the past.
Somebody has to know how to repair IE in Win2K. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
Actually Brian, the features I don't like are minor in stature but I do use them all the time, and thus makes it a tad more time consuming but more frustrating than anything.
1) Full screen. In 5.5, you can just hit F11 to toggle between modes. In 6, you have to go to the View menu to switch it on and off. Why they changed this is beyond me. Why eliminate a function key?
2) In Full screen mode, the address bar in IE 6 cannot be re-sized. I hate that!!!! Why didn't they just add new functionality onto the browser instead of subtracting previous elements??
You guys know what I'm talking about when I say repair IE, right? I've done this a million times in Win98. Can it be done in Win2K? Someone has to know. Re-installing would not be such a monumental task but I'd like to choose the repair path first.
Any Network Admins here? Someone has to know.
Thanks for all your replies guys.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
If you can't see the option when logged in as Administrator then the odds are that the feature doesn't exist in the W2K version of 5.5.

Brian E

Screenwriter
1) Full screen. In 5.5, you can just hit F11 to toggle between modes. In 6, you have to go to the View menu to switch it on and off. Why they changed this is beyond me. Why eliminate a function key?
Hmmm, just tried it on this machine (IE6, WinXp) and F11 does indeed give me full screen mode. I can't however resize the address bar.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, just tried it on this machine (IE6, WinXp) and F11 does indeed give me full screen mode. I can't however resize the address bar.
Same platform here and it works for me!

you need to go to 'viewtoolbars' and uncheck 'lock the toolbars'.

Any other reasons you are not using IE6? I don't think there is a good one - it's much faster than 5.5 and more stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks