How to remove smoke odor from house?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Braddock, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

My wife and I just moved into a new place, and the lady that lived here befoe us was a smoker. Natrally, the house smells like smoke now and we can't get rid of it. We have cleaned throughly, burned scented candles, you name it...and nothing works! I have heard that ozone spray works good with getting this particular smell out, but have never used it. Does anybody have any good ways to remove this smell from our rooms and closets? Thanks in advance for all your help.

2. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    You will have to pay to have your duct work cleaned. Yes the duct work. The smoke came to rest inside your ducts and no matter how much you clean, when your heat pump turns on, it blows a fresh load of smoke into your rooms.
    Ozone spray is a good remedy, but will only be effective after the duct cleaning.
    Also, the longer you wait to do it, the more your furniture will start to smell like smoke just from being in the place.
    Good luck.[​IMG]

3. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

You might look to replace your carpet if after cleaning the ductwork you still have the smoke smell.

4. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Stunt Coordinator

Second the previous recommendations. You may also need to look into repainting the interior. You'd be surprised how much the paint soaks up. When my grandmother died (a lifelong smoker), her ceiling was yellow from cigarette smoke. It gets in the paint and does not come out.

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Jeff, I know the feeling all too well, buddy. The old bitch that sold me my place hid the smoke odors with scented candles all over the place. I just thought she was an eccentric old lady. Instead, on closing day I found that the walls were white, not tan (from where a picture was hung) and the carpeting was blue, not brown (from where a china cabinet once stood.) [​IMG]
    Here's what I had to do: 1.) Had to prime and paint the entire house. Just painting was not enough...the heavy tar build-up was leaching through the paint. I had to apply oil-based Kilz first. 2.) I tore out every square inch of carpeting and padding and refinished the hardwood floors (which had also been damaged by animal piss.) Damn, what a nightmare that was. I'll be much more discriminating when I buy my next place.

6. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

When my parents redid our bathroom wall we had to peel away all the old paint. Instantly the room smelled like smoke because the people who used to live there smoked alot. So I guess painting would get rid of it.

7. Jeff Braddock

Well, we are just renting the place and it has been repainted and cleaned, etc., but it still smells. We knew that it stunk some before we got it, but I would just like it to go away.[​IMG]

8. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

You might try one of the carpet steam cleaners. Also, I had a problem with gasoline that spilled in my car. I tried everything to get rid of the odor, but nothing worked. Finally took it to a detailer that sealed up the car and ran some sort of ozone machine in it overnight. They claim it removes all odors and kills all organisms inside. Don't know about the organisms, but the odor was gone completely. I don't know if they have something similar for living spaces or if it's feasible. Might be worth looking into. Nothing pisses me off more than the odor of smoke.

9. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Jeff if you are renting you may be SOL. Most of the remedies to get rid of Cigarette smoke have you ripping out things and repainting. As stated it gets into everything the ducts, carpet, walls and I do not envy what you are going through right now.

KyleS

10. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

It's going to be alot of work and time to get that fresh air back in your house. I wish you luck [​IMG]

11. Jeff Braddock

I appreciate the support guys. As I walk in, the smell doesn't seem as strong as it originally did. I don't know if I am just getting used to it, or if some of it is leaving. Maybe some of both. The things that smell the most are the closets. In particular the linen closet. I'm sure it's because no fresh air can circulate through them, but man alive! We have tried cleaning them, using baking soda, and it just won't go away. Oh well, that's part of renting I guess.

12. DustinDavis

In the closets, you may want to try the "bag-o-rocks". I saw them at Home Depot and don't know the name of the product or the maker, but it literally looks like a bag of rocks, but one that says you can place it anywhere to absorb odors. It was very cheap and at least worth a shot.

13. DustinDavis

Wait, not Best Buy--make that Home Depot. I corrected the previous post as well to get rid of any confusion.

14. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Might try using Cedar wood in the closets you can usually buy them at Home Depot or Lowes. Best of luck getting the smell out. If you are ever wondering if the smell is still there or you have just gotten used to it bring in a 3rd party like friends and ask them. Since they have not been in the house on a regular basis they can give you some honest feedback.

KyleS

15. Jeff Braddock

Well, I know for sure it's not gone, I just wonder if it is lessoning. I had never heard of the bag of rocks deal, we might have to look into it. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.