How to remove a virus ???

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Neil Joseph, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I run Win XP, Internet Explorer 6.0.xxx?, Norton Internet Security, Microsoft Antispyware.

Basically NAV found a virus the other day. I had the choice of deleting it, which I did, but NAV could not delete the virus file. The other option was to "skip" it so every time I run NAV, it finds the same virus again. I checked the path/location of the file so that I could use windows explorer to manually delete the virus. Problem is, I cannot find the directory where the virus is located, even while displaying all hidden files and folders. Also, I tried going into dos mode to find the directory but cannot.

The instructions for removing this virus include about 2 pages worth of removals in the registry but rather than do all of that, I restored from a previous point 2 days ago and the registry is clean of this virus's intrusions/commands/instructions.

I will check later when I get home and post the specific virus file name if that helps but.....

how do I delete this virus file? Any suggestions?

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I think that the directory is really there, but it has an illegal filename, so Windows & DOS, can't see it.

The way out is to create a new directory (somewhere else) with the same filename, and copy over all of the other (legal files). Then you delete the directory with the illegal file in it, and copy over the new directory to its proper place with all of the legal files that you had copied over.

Glenn

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

The easiest thing to do, usually, is to boot into Safe Mode and run Norton again. This usually allows Norton to remove the virus.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I booted in safe mode and NAV could not delete the virus.

Well, the virus is ADWARE.CDT

I went into safe mode but still cannot find the subfolder (allowed to view hidden files and folders). The file is supposedly located at...

c:documents and settingsneillocal settingstemporary internet filescontent.ie5sl6nq2wxelizabeth-pena6[1].htm

but when I go to "c:documents and settingsneillocal settingstemporary internet files" there are no subfolders listed so I cannot go any further to locate the file. The search function does not help either.

If I go to the other users in the same manner I can see the sub folders listed for them under "temporary internet files"

What gives??? help

5. ScottHH

ScottHH Stunt Coordinator

It looks like adware, not a virus. The preceding link to Symantic shows you how to delete it.

You should also consider running Spybot and/or Ad-aware. Finally, I gave up and started using Firefox for most of my browsing and have had far fewer problems. There are the occasional sites that don't run on Firefox, and if I know what they are and I must see them, I open up Explorer.

6. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Neil,
    Concur 100% with the last poster:
    Dump I.E. in favor of Firefox, a great broswer...
    Install and run regularly a program called Adaware...
    Dump Norton and Install a free personal A.V. program called AVG run regularly...
    Also, install a program called Spybot Search & Destroy and run it regularly...
    Lastly, install a program called Hi Jack This and run it regularly...

Being in cyber space is like getting a date in the red light district, you can never have too much protection.[​IMG]

7. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

You may also want to try Microsoft's new beta spyware software.

I've used it on several machines and has cleaned up things Spybot/Lavasoft couldn't.

Just a thought.

Todd B

8. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

The first post mentions that Neil already uses MS Antispyware.

You could always try running another antivirus-scanner on your machine and see if that is capable of removing it.

For instance, you can go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and use that, free and online and no installation required.

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

OK, I finally got rid of the file. I dumped IE in favour of Firefox. I also dumped outlook in favour of Mozilla Thunderbird. Tonight I plan on downloading AVG and using that for virus protection. I run MS antispyware already. Now I have to contemplate if I want to continue using MS Internet security as the firewall rather than just use the one in XP or some other software.

Thanks

10. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Now, to find folders Windows refuses to see, plus simple manipulation of their contents, you can use a small freeware utility "dsfsr" available at http://www.ozemail.com.au/~nulifetv/freezip/freeware/ from Dariusz Stanislawek. If that helps; I know IE generates an almost infinite number of these garbage files which are totally hidden from the user.

11. Hal

Hal Extra

AVG is excellent. I have opted for the Pay version. At $33 for two years it's a bargain and I want to encourage companies like theirs. Microsofts Beta is likewise excellent. I'm ambivalent on Mozilla versus IE. Anyone played with Netscapes new browser?

Wolf

12. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Netscapes new browser is just a shell on the engine created by and used by Mozilla/Firefox.

Little reason to use that instead of Moz/FF in my opinion.

13. Hal

Hal Extra

Thanks! I'm probably gonna load FF again. But I'm looking forward to Redmonds next offering.

Wolf