What's new

How To Relieve Binding Posts From Heavy Speaker Wire? (1 Viewer)

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
A couple of months ago I purchased BetterCables Bi-Wire Speaker wire for my mains and center (Paradigm 60's & CC). Now when the banana plugs are plugged in I noticed that there is alot of strain being put on my binding posts for my receiver. My receiver is a Sony DB-930. The back of the receiver is in the open and within about 12in from the wall. I thought about somehow using small adhesive mounting brackets to relieve the strain, but wanted to find out from others.
So basically how do other HTF members handle dealing with heavy speaker wire? I want to know if this causing any decrease in sound quality or worse if this might damage the binding posts.
------------------
Haynes HomeTheater

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Greg,
I too had the exact same concern about my Analysis Plus bi-wire speaker cables (very thick and heavy to begin with, and amplified with WBT locking bananas) exerting way too much "gravity pull" on my Yamaha DSP-A1 binding post.
In my old living room setup, I used loops of fishing line and push pins to support the weight-- pins into the sheetrock about 10" away. I also used velcro cable tie/organizer stips around cable, and, again, pins into the drywall. Worked very well.
I my new basement setup, my amp is now on a longer audio rack which allows me to support all three AP cables with a folded (tent like, and taped across the bottom so it doesn't collapse) piece of sturdy cardboard. More than supports the combined weight and allows no stress whatsoever on the amps posts.
This can be a very expensive oversight if one has "too heavy" cables into binding posts that simply bend under the weight. A simple wrong move, or some pull on your speaker cable, can shear those posts right out of the chassis.
Best to take measures now to ease that strain and weight.
Good Luck,
BOK

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Thanks alot Brian!! I'm going to see if I can try your technique.
Anyone else have suggestions?

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
That's pretty funny...I do the same thing with fishing line. I'm using "StraightWire" bi-wire speaeker cables.
I tied the two together near the connection point on the receiver....maybe 3 inches back, and another piece of fishing line from that loop to the wall. Works great!
Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks