What's new

How to Record/Watch Other on JVS S-VHS (1 Viewer)

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Trying this for the first time. My JVC 7800 S-VHS is connected to the AVR via S-Video and Audio cables; S-Video cable to TV. Plus I have RF cable linking S-VHS to TV ANT IN.

I'll be able to record a channel on the S-VHS, so now I want to watch another at the same time. All I can figure is switching the TV input from S-Video to Ant for the second program -- that works -- but I now am using the tv's speakers.

My question is whether there's a way to watch the second program still using the AVR surround speakers. The JVC VCR/TV remote switch doesnt make a difference.

bill

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If your TV has stereo out you can do it that way, and feed that into the surrounds. Otherwise you have to buy another VCR and feed it that way

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Simply split your antenna/cable coaxial cable, and attach it separately to your VCR and TV antenna inputs (i.e. do not connect the VCR to the TV via the RF cable). Then run a pair of audio cables from the TV's "audio output" to another input on your receiver. Then, when you want to listen to TV through your HT, select that input. When you want to listen to the VCR, select its receiver input.

This is the way I have my system wired. Using a receiver to switch audio/video, there is no reason to connect the VCR to the TV via RF an cable unless you have a separate cable or satellite box.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
For analog over the air and analog cable...
The key to solving this problem is audio outs on the TV. Selecting the audio for the watched program will not corrupt the recorded program.
You can still set the TV/VCR choice on the VCR to "TV" (to deliver onward via coax to the TV all the channels rather than only the recorded program) and have just one coax from the wall to the VCR and one coax from the VCR to the TV. If you are using cable TV, the recorded program must not be scrambled, and, if the watched program is scrambled you must put a cable box just before the TV antenna input.
The disadvantage of splitting is that the signal strength for both legs is reduced possibly resulting in snow.
Other video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
For recording a scrambled channel, or for HDTV or dish or digital cable, you need to split the coax according to Scott's reply above, and you may need two cable, etc. boxes.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
thanks, allan, and others. Yes, I used to use a splitter from the wall CATV feed but like Allan believe a direct pass-thru is preferable. I'll dig out some audios from the box :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks