How to recognize poor grounding problem for panny cp72???

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dan_R_M, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Dan_R_M

Dan_R_M Stunt Coordinator

For those that have had a poor grounding problem on the cp72, how can I check if I have the same problem? Unfortunatly I don't have component or svideo connection to the tv yet...can I still see the problem if I have it? Thanks!

-Dan

2. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    I am also interested in the problem. I don't own the unit but I am strongly considering picking one up. I thought it was a some sort of white band that would flash on the screen. Hopefully someone else can tell us some more details.

3. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Since I now have this player on order, I would like an answer to this question as well. As far as I know, the white flashing band can be seen during dark scenes on defective units, but that is all I know.

4. Neil_S

Neil_S Stunt Coordinator

5. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Thanks for the response, Neil!

6. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

Only a handfull of CP72's have been reported with this problem, and at least some of them came from Onecall.com. I tried to duplicate the problem with the CP72 I got to no avail.

Below is what one of the guys told me to do in looking for it. Keep in mind that this was a month ago when RP82s were still available.

7. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    Does anyone know if there is a particular manufacturing date that has the problem?

8. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

I don't recall seeing any dates mentioned (maybe Sept 2002?), but here's an example of someone who tried two of them and they both came from Onecall.com
    Tim

9. Dan_R_M

I just got a cp72...I am trying to locate these horizontal lines...question...how thick are these horizontal lines? Are they thin? I am running the player in non-progressive mode through an RCA connection on a 20" tv. I am not sure if what I am seeing is the shitty non-progressive picture or these flashing horizontal lines that people are talking about. Thanks!

-Dan

10. JasonLC

JasonLC Stunt Coordinator

Timothy,

That looks my advice that I gave you a while back that you quoted. ;-) Everyone please try what Tim just quoted me telling him, and it will be very noticable and distracting if your unit has the problem. There are more and more people getting these bad units, and some have gone through 2 or 3 like me with no luck in getting a CP72 that doesn't have this problem. I remember my 2-CP72s had a manufacture date of October 2002 and were made in Singapore. My RP82 was made in September 2002 and in Japan and it works flawlessly. Singapore is botching these units up, and what do you expect for how cheap they are going for compared to RP82, and I am sure shortcuts have been made in production there in Singapore. Its a shame they have this problem because they are definitely neck and neck in PQ to the RP82 because they have the exact same video internals shown by internal pictures I have taken. I feel the RP82 is much better made and will be much more reliable then the CP72 in the long run.

11. Dan_R_M

Can someone answer me how wide these bars are?

This is my first dvd player and while watching a movie in interlaced mode on my 20" tv using composite connection I can see flickering or what seems like rolling thin (1/16")black/white horizontal lines evenly spaced . I am wondering if this is just the interlaced picture or this is the problem described above. Thanks.

-Dan

12. JasonLC

JasonLC Stunt Coordinator

I would consider them as horizontal white lightning flashes that wuld roll from bottom to top. I don't think you can even see them on your 20" via composite output. Try hooking it up via Component to a 27" TV or larger and see if you see them in darker scenes. Sounds like you have a different kind of ground looping problem.

13. Dan_R_M

well, after reading up on interlaced pictures, i think that it is just what that...a crappy interlaced picture...I only notice it when I am sitting close (really close) to the tv, which is good because i don't think there is something wrong with the player. Unfortunatly i don't have a tv with component connections to check it out yet. I don't think it is a grounding problem. Am I going nutz here? Looking for something that isn't there?

14. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I just got an RP-72 from Cruthfield yesturday and it does not have the flashing problem. I also compared the picture side by side to my RP-82 and it is exactly the same.

15. Kip Lackey

Kip Lackey Stunt Coordinator

I think from what people say, you will clearly notice the grounding problem as it would be a solid, jagged type line across the screen. Do not kill yourself trying to find fault with the player as I did. For example, I would watch Gladiator and notice minute white specs here and there on dark scenes. I finally had to call a friend who has a Sony DVD player and Toshiba 57H82 widescreen and ask him to look for these specs. He noticed them immediately couldn't believe he hadn't seen them before. I almost ruined my future experiences with this player by nit-picking and being overly obsessive until having someone else with a different make DVD player verify. I am now very happy with my unit and have realized that transfers are not perfect. The closest I have found is Episode 2 which I view as having a top-notch transfer regardless of how much I like the film. I would recommend comparing the same film, same scene on a friends player and seeing if you can truly see a potential problem. This is what really alleviated any questions I had about the player.

16. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

Can this problem be detected on a standard 4x3 television with no progressive?

17. Kip Lackey

Kip Lackey Stunt Coordinator

18. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

I also have a CP72 connected to a 32" Toshiba set via SVideo. I have had the unit since October and I have never really noticed the problem but I recall someone saying this defect is apparent on SVideo also, but not quite as obivious.

Well, I noticed some quick moving rolling horizontal white bars that seem to pulse very quickly on the screen after trying to look for this defect. Is this the same thing that everyone else with a defective CP72 is seeing? I don't know. I see this anomally at the Panasonic DVD screen with the machine sitting idle so it could be another grounding problem, but it is apparent during playback if I get real close to the screen.

From my understanding the more common issue is when the player is actually playing some media. If this is the same problem that is more apparrent on the component output, then I will probably replace the player when I finally make the switch to PS, but I guess I will just live with it now since it took over 3 months to finally detect it on the SVideo output.

19. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

Update:

I decided to hook up my old Sony DVP-S360 to the S-Video input to see if I could see the same thing? Low and behold the Sony was exhibiting the same behavior so I must have some other grounding problem. Not saying that my CP72 doesn't have the other grounding issue, but what I reported on before is not the CP72 issue.

20. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Hi Guys,

I have a Panasonic RP82 that is showing these flashing symptoms on my Hitachi 57swx20b.
    Is there any fix for this problem?

Thanks,
    Aaron