How to quit my job?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by NickSo, Dec 13, 2003.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Im currently 'working' (i put that term loosely as I only work once a week, for a very short shift due to school) at a retail sports store (SportChek/Coast Mountain Sports), and I'm planning on quitting, but I dont know exactly how to break it to them...

I want to get a reference from them too...

I've never quit a job before, so thats why I gotta ask...
    Do i give em a letter of resignation? and ask them for a reference letter?

Thanks

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I would assume you'd only need to give them advance notice of your departure. Seeing that it's a part-time job, I wouldn't think a letter of resignation is necessary. Just go to your immediate supervisor or to the personnel department (if there is one) and tell them when you expect your last day to be. If you want a reference from them, best make sure you give them at least 2 weeks notice.
    Bruce

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I would type of a letter of resignation anyway. Some companies want something in writing from the employee. You may not need it, but it's better to have it with you when you meet with your supervisor.

4. Joe Spratley

Joe Spratley Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't worry about how to "break it to them". If the situation was reversed and they had to let you go they would do it in a heartbeat and not think twice about it. I've seen it done several times. Give them your resignation and don't feel bad about it this is how business works.

5. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Actually, it's good manners to at least submit your resignation in writing even if you're leaving a McJob. You don't need to explain WHY you're quitting. You just need to tell them WHEN you're leaving.

6. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Also, references usually aren't written by "them" (ie the Company itself) but by an individual working there. So, while you might turn in your resignation to HR, you WOULDN'T ask them for the reference, but rather someone who worked with you and knows your qualities and habits, like a co-worker or direct supervisor.

7. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Nick, why would you want to quit that job? After all, you have gotten tons of Silica packets from them! [​IMG]

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    There isnt really a HR manager there, its just the managers who are the HR guys as well, and they're fairly close with the employees anyways... So im just gonna write a letter of resignation, and ask my manager for a letter of reference...

Tomny: Thats the reason why, I was planning to start my own e-silica business, and i was hopin to be a sponsor of AHL [​IMG]

9. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Oh, whoops, thats the painkillers talking...

Also, when i called AfterHoursLounge the AFL, American Football League [​IMG]

11. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

A letter of reference isnt necessary Nick. How many companies ask for them when you are hired? Answer=None. Now a company may ask for a list of references they could call though. A lot of times the company would rather call that individual personally to get their opinion of you themselves. I guess that it cant hurt though but how do they really know that your old boss or co-worker is the one who wrote the letter and not you? Best of luck, be courious, give them 2 weeks, and Dont change your work habbits those last 2 weeks be yourself.

KyleS

12. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Submit a letter of resignation (when I worked for a larger company, they already had them typed out and all you needed to do was sign the bottom/give reason for departure) 2 weeks before the day you want to stop working.

13. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Nick don't quit just yet!! You need to give me a discount on some Merrell hiking boots!!

Seriously, I didn't know you work at Coast Mountain/Sport Chek... it's too bad you're leaving. Which one do you work at?

14. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Great points. Even though companies will dump workers like a hot rock, that doesn't mean you should treat them with the same disdain by walking out. Always give 2 weeks notice. Good references are hard to come by and it's important to have a good employment history.

When I got my current job, I had to provide detailed employment records for the last 10 yrs and they contacted them all. Even the most mundane part-time job means a lot if you get a good reference from a clean break.

Good Luck !

15. wally

wally Second Unit

16. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor