How to put form in a Subwoofer...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Conn, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Peter Conn

Peter Conn Auditioning

I am considering putting form into a Subwoofer to reduce booming... not having ever done this..
    How is this done?
    What kind of form should be used?
    I am looking to do this to a sony SA-WM40
    [​IMG]

2. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

I bought some Polyfil at the local arts and crafts store for my Sony sub. You can probably pick some up at K-Mart, Walmart or Target also. It'll only cost $5 or so.

Unplug your Sony from the outlet. Take the front cover off the sub. Take out all the screws holding the sub in place. I laid the sub on the amp side with woofer facing up. You can set the woofer on the top without too much trouble. Be careful not to pull loose any wires.

Buy the Polyfil that comes in sheets. Cut into the correct size to fit into each side of the cabinet. You can either use a staple gun or velcro strips or maybe even glue to hold the insulation in place. I think I used about 3 inches on foam on each side of the cabinet. Place the woofer back in the enclosure and insert all the screws.

It took less than 10 minutes for me to complete. The boominess is definitely reduced at the sub sounds great.

Good luck.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

What Greg recommends may help. However, note he says to line each wall. Don't just fill the thing with polyfil. It is not a good idea to stuff a ported enclosure.

4. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

so i've been meaning to put some foam in my SA-WM40 as well, but didn't know exactly what to buy. s it better to use something like acoustic "egg crate" style foam or something like polyfill or acoustastuff(tm)? I've got some old egg crate style foam (although who knows if it's "acoustic" foam) that was used to pack something or other - would that work?

5. Peter Conn

Peter Conn Auditioning

Thanks for all the advice, I am beginning to get the idea of what to do. I have noticed that you can turn down the level and Cut Off Freq which seems to reduce the boom considerably when playing music.

6. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Mike -

Try it, nuttin' to lose.

I think it may be too dense to give the same results as poly, but you never know with audio!

- CM

7. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

8. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

I actually lined the 3 bare sides with polyfil and left the side with the wiring and port uncovered. Made sure I was careful not to block the port. Sorry if I didn't make that clear the first time.

The boominess is definitely reduced. It sounds great. Will probably buy a 2nd sub for my bedroom system when I find them on sale again.