How to protect my web images from theives?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by David Baranyi, Aug 24, 2003.

1. David Baranyi

David Baranyi Stunt Coordinator

I noticing for some time that my web site have been looted by theives stealing my images. Even by putting in copyright notices, disabling right mouse clicking, disabling image caching, and watermarking the images, the thefts still continue.

Is there a way to protect my web images from theives?

2. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

No, there isn't.

3. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

The only thing I can think of is not putting any images at all.

Even if you disable the right click, they can still look at your source code. I don't think there is a way to stop them. If there is, I'd like to know.

4. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston
    What about embedding images in something like a flash file? I am embedding MP3s in flash files on my site, and they can not be extracted from the flash file then.

5. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

6. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

A digital watermark will help you locate your images if someone else has them displayed online but it can't keep them from taking the images in the first place.

There are more ways to take an image from a web page then there are ways to protect them.

It sucks but there's not really much you can do about keeping unscrupulous people from stealing web images.

For copyrighting and watermarking to be effective you have to follow up and contact the "image theives" to have them remove your images from their web pages.

If they are hot linking your images you may be able to get your ISP involved.

Brian

7. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Well, I certainly am no expert in these matters, but if you take a gander at this page and right-click to copy one of the images, it won't let you. Perhaps there is way around the restriction but I don't know what it is.

8. David-S

David-S Second Unit

If they are hot-linking, there are also ways to see where the link referral came from, and put up a "don't steal my bandwidth" picture... (NEVER, EVER, hotlink from somethingawful.com)

9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Now you know how the studios/record producers feel =)

Seriously tho, you CAN track down stolen images but there is no viable way to make any digital media theftproof.

Sam

10. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

What if you were to use a screen capture and cut out the image with editing software? Any digital watermark is lost.

My rule of thumb is to have only crappy images on my website and make them free to everyone. [​IMG]

BTW, what is your website, David?

11. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

12. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Artur,

I agree that a digital watermark could prevent someone from stealing an image.
    It is my experience however, that if someone wants to take something (illegally or not) they will find a way to get it regardless of consequences.

Regards,
    Brian

13. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

14. David Baranyi

David Baranyi Stunt Coordinator

Alan, I went to the Russ Meyer photo page and I was able to right click on the images and save them. The JavaScript pop-up window warning me did not appear. This form of copy protection is ineffective, especially if you use Mozilla. Inserting this tag:

oncontextmenu="return false"

in the is more effective in preventing right mouse-clicking. However, like others had said, there are ways for thieves stealing one's images. Let us list the ways:

a) right mouse-clicking
    b) Web page, complete
    c) Source code
    d) Cache folders (Interent Explorer only)
    e) Drag and drop
    f) Image Toolbar (IE 6.0 only)
    g) Webpage downloader
    h) Adobe Reader
    i) Screenshots
    j) Clipboard

Someone told me that flash and Java Applets provide better image protection.

15. David-S

David-S Second Unit

Onewebsite i saw cut it's images into a grid of ~100 different squares, each with only a part of this image, this way you would have to go to the trouble of a screenshot to get the entire image together... (or download all 100 files)

16. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

Simple answer, dont put your images on a public website, thats your only option.

17. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    I agree with Brian W. Ralston and the other person who told you about Flash being a rather good protection. Most people won't be able to copy those pictures anymore.

Cees

18. Jan Jessen

Jan Jessen Auditioning

19. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

20. Greg Rowe

Greg Rowe Stunt Coordinator

Greg
    As has been said before the only solution is to not post your pictures publicly. You can disable right clicking and toolbars all you want but that accomplishes nothing.

Just look at the source of the page (and no it is not possible to block this either, the idea makes no sense), find the URL of the image, and then fetch the image.

So, don't post publicly, or state that you do not wish for people to use your images and hope that most people obey your wishes.

Greg