How to protect my HT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JenaroM, Dec 10, 2001.

1. JenaroM

JenaroM Stunt Coordinator

I'm really confused about this issue, and would like some advice. How can I protect my home theater from power surges and the like?

I've searched around the net for these kind of products, and I simply don't know what to buy. There are surge protectors, power centers, etc. I'm looking mostly at Monster's products.

I don't have the money right now to buy those hundreds-of-dollars-reference-power-centers, but maybe something on the range of $100.

I have a Sony 36XBR450, a Sony Dream System, and a DirecTV box. I have them all on a cheap power surge protector.

Thanks for all your advice.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

this is another one of the widely debated topics and i don't really have an answer for you.

i don't think anyone will argue that a good surge protector is a must, but i hear people argue whether those hi-end models do a better job than the bargain priced ones.

imo, if you buy a decent quality one then you'll be fine. i think my protectors cost about 60 bucks or so...i think they're from kensington and some other brand. they're beefy and well constructed.

i remember a time when i had a pretty "cheesy" strip. i was messing around with something and shorted the socket that the strip was plugged into. it shut down in no time flat...no damage to my gear. and this was some basic, generic model. so i always wonder whether the higher-end stuff is worth it.

it's all going to boil down to personal preference anyway.

just make sure you are picking up a surge protector, not just a power-strip!

3. JenaroM

Thanks for your response, Ted. I've seen those very expensive hi-end models, and for me, its just too much money.

I just wanted to know what is enough to buy. Anyone?

4. JoeMack

JoeMack Auditioning

tripp-lite isobar 6's seem to be popular among the ht masses. do a search at pricegrabber.com you'll find it for 50-60 bucks.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

6. Anthony Stephan

Anthony Stephan Stunt Coordinator

If all you are trying to do is protect your equipment, then a good surge protector is all you will need.

Generally, the expensive units are Line Conditioners that help eliminate noise generated by appliances and such in your house. That's were the debate comes in.

7. Myram

Myram Second Unit

JenaroM.......Click on this link - http://search.ebay.com/search/search...t&BasicSearch= and you will find what you are looking for within your price range. If that link doesn't work, go to www.ebay.com and do a search for "monster hts1000" and that will give you what you are looking for at $85. It is a 8 outlet surge surpressor/power conditioner that comes with a $25,000 warranty.
    Good luck

8. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

9. JenaroM

Thanks a lot everybody for all of your replies. I have a better idea of what to look for.