How to protect 2nd hard drive with a password?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Brian Perry, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I have two hard drives on my PC and wish to keep the files on the second one private. Is there a way to password protect the entire drive? If not, can I protect certain folders?

By the way, I'm running XP pro.

Thanks!

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

here's my reccomendation:
    http://www.ovsoft.com/powercry_eng.htm

powercrypt2000 is an encryption program that will encode your files and will do a great job of securing them from unwanted folks.

PGP is one that I would reccomend over powercrypt except that it costs money for the disk version that will encrypt a hardrive. Though you might be able to hunt around for a predate version, actually I would reccomend 5 or earlier which doesn't have a universal government key. but you'll have to hunt for it.

3. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

As long as you're using the NTFS format for your disks you can just apply a user-level permission to the drive or folder(s). Right-click on what you want to protect and select Properties, then into the Security tab. The rest is fair obvious. It does mean you'll need a different logon account for everyone who uses the PC (well, one for you, and at least one for everyone else).