What's new

How to properly set a sub with a seperate amp? (1 Viewer)

Phil_Lunar

Stunt Coordinator
I made a lot of mistake on my first attempt on the subject line so I can understand why I haven't got any answers so far, so here is is again:

My system consist of a Kenwood VR-410 system with a 5 speakers suround kit from kenwood.

with that kenwood kit come a 8' passive subwoofer.

so I've decided to use my old Pionner stereo amp 100WX2(200W thru mono?) to power the sub

Everything is fine now and I am quite pleased with my setup

but now I am wondering if I plugged everything the right way for the sub and amp??

here is how it is setup :

I got a RCA cable going out of my Kenwood receiver through the sub preout plugged into the stereo Pionner receiver using a splitter to go on left and right input of the line in(CD actually)

now I got a pair of 12g speaker cable running from both left and right channel into the left and right input of the passive sub(got input for left and right speakers pair so I thoughtit might be better)

Now, I put the sound level of the stereo amp at about 50% and I left the sub Out level of my kenwood receiver to 0db

it's not bad I got pretty solid low deep bass, but could it be better?

I ma not an expert in amp so I suppose that if I plug it in mono(not splitting my RCA cable and only running one 12g speaker wire to the left or right input of the sub) I will not used the 200W that my stereo amp can give me. is this right or do the 200W can got thru only a mono signal?

also, should I crank up the sound level of my sub to 100% and lower my receiver setting to someting like -5 to -10db?(like they recomend on the SVS website, and I know I don't have a SVS CS sub so It might be irelevant) or should I leave it like it is now(50% and 0 db?

to much possible tweeking for my poor soul! :) please help me!

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Do you know if your sub has a dual voice coil woofer, in other words, two voice coils,one input for each. If so, than your setup is like mine, where I am using a stereo reciever to power a passive sub. But since I know for sure that mine is dual voice coil, I need both left and right channels live, so that I am taking advantage of powering both voice coils. If not, than your sub may combine the left and right channels to one mono feed to the woofer. If this is the case. Just plug the single sub cable from your kenwood, to either the red or white input on the CD input from your pioneer, and turn the balance to the corresponding side, and then run one line to the same corresponding side input on the sub. I don't know if your Pioneer will pass the signal, if both left and right are not hooked up at the same time tho. Just try it and see if there is a difference in sound.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Phil,
Have no fear, you did everything right.
No disrespect to Juan, my bud and fellow Texan... :D
...but if the sub “combined the left and right channels to one mono feed to the woofer,” this would mean there is an internal amp (no speaker engineer or designer in his right mind would combine two speaker leads to a single voice coiled driver!). It’s already been established that the sub is passive (non-powered).
Still, experimentation never hurts, so you can try Juan’s alternate connection scheme and see if you like it better.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Ah Wayne... I know you would not disrespect a fellow Texan.. especially one who is still a newbie.

Question tho. Can we also assume that Phils sub has a dual voice coil woofer? Why else would they have given him left and right inputs? right?

Word to the wise Phil.. listen to what Wayne has to say whenever he offers his opinion or knowledge. He's one smart cookie.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Question tho. Can we also assume that Phils sub has a dual voice coil woofer? Why else would they have given him left and right inputs? right?
Maybe not. Those passive subs with speaker-level ins and outs have an internal passive crossover. There might be a way, through it, to send a combined signal to a single-voice coil driver. I don’t know enough about passive crossovers to say for sure, though. You might want to check with those speaker-building guys at the DIY Forum – they’re the real geniuses.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Phil_Lunar

Stunt Coordinator
Can we also assume that Phils sub has a dual voice coil woofer? Why else would they have given him left and right inputs? right?
thanks you all!

Well I've checked on the back of the subwoofer, and there is no info and this matter, only said KS-201 HT 100W 8oms

since I got left and right channel input and left right output I suppose it is because most people use those low end sub without a dedicated amp and pass thru the left and right channel of there 5.1 receiver. as for dual voice, first time I ear of that so I can't help here.

also anyone got a tip for the sound level also: is it better to put my sub amp a 100% and lower the receiver source or let the receiver a 0db and lower the sub amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks