How to prolong the life of my Dell XPS T550?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wade, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Wade

Wade Stunt Coordinator

I would like to upgrade my current Dell 550MHz machine to something a little faster. It is a nice machine as it stands now but I would like to upgrade it before handing it off to a family member. It appears I have the following two processor paths I can take for this machine.
    1. Slap in an Intel PIII 1GHz 100 FSB Slot 1 (Approximately $110)
    2. Slap in a PowerLeap PL-iP3/T 1400C (Approximately $170)
    Both options seem pretty straight forward to me but I have never heard of PowerLeap before today. Has anybody had any experience with any of their products? I'm thinking of going with #1 and using the leftover cash to purchase another 128MB stick of ram and possibly add a better graphics card.
    Which path do you think would be better?
    Wade

2. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

There is also a third and cheaper option and that is to purchase a slot 1 to a socket 370 bridge (these are about $10 on Ebay) and buy a socket 370 P3 processor. I'd advise contacting a vender of the bridge about some of the other difficulties that might be discovered (voltage difference, bios problems, and bus speed, etc though some of these might be auto configuring) though it shouldn't be that much different than the slot 1 processor for the most part.

I'd advise to buy a larger memory stick (256s have dropped and with rebate can usually be found under $20 locally at stores such as OfficeMax, OfficeDepo, and CompUSA) if the board can recognize it as this might offset and in the long run improve the overall quality of the computer's performance in the long run.

3. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

For Dimension upgrade, there simply is no better place to look than the Dell support forum (Dimension section). I think if you go to Dell.com and support, it's call "Communities" and then Dimension. Go to the Upgrade section of Dimension. There is at least one Powerleap person that "sits" on the board and answers question and there are excellent user web pages that provide fantastic analyses of various processor options as well as pictorial step by step upgrades. I personally do not subscribe to the upgrade path (I have a Dimension XPS T500, has been totally flawless for more than 3 years and going, but new boxes are just way too cheap now to do upgrade on a PIII, SDRAM, AGP 2x era machine), but if upgrade's what you want, that's the place.