What's new

How to Proceed to Sell a Car? (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I have a 1991 Nissan Maxima with the optional satin white pearl glow paint, kind of a metallic light cream color.

The car runs well but one of the rear windows needs a regulator so the window does not fall down.

Couple of questions.

1) Should I take it as is to a few dealers to see what they will give me for it?

2) Would I do better getting the regulator installed ($225) before I do anything else?

3) Front bumper was replaced and the paint has come off on several spots and the top surface exposing the yellow foam underneath is visible. Should I try to use touch up paint to cover the ugly yellow foam?

4) Among selling to a dealer, selling through newspaper ads or selling on Ebay, what do you think is the best alternative?

Any other thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Don't go the dealer route..major rip off.

Clean it up, and lower the price a bit based on condition, repairs needed, and list it w/ autotrader.com..they work great.

Good luck!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Arthur,
I'll take a stab at your questions since I recently sold my 1995 Mitsubishi Galant.

1. No. You won't get much if anything for it. Selling the car to an individual is the best path.

2. Yes. Chances are that will push people away from buying it especially in the summer. It will also lower the value of the car more.

3. Not sure.

4. Local Newspaper or Auto Trader is your best bet. You can also try a locally advertised site. I used one that was being constantly promoted on our local Fox affiliate. I had lots of calls and finally someone serious whom paid cash.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As others have said, a dealer will not give you a good deal, especially for such an old car (and if you are not buying another car from the dealer).

I sold our last two cars simply by cleaning them up, putting a "for sale" sign in them, and parking them in our driveway. We have a lot a people in our neighborhood with high school and college age kids who are looking for used cars. Edmunds.com used to have a tool to help you price your used vehicle appropriately based on year, mileage, features, area of the country, etc. I have not looked to see if the feature is still available. You could print out a window sticker with all the information and your asking price. I did this with the last car we sold, and the buyer was impressed with all the info and could also verify everything for himself on the website.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Also print up some ads with pics and stick 'em in various stores in your area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks