What's new

How to power your receiver with another amp? (1 Viewer)

Burki

Agent
Soon i ll buy Onkyo's TX-SR601 and a pair of JBL N28. But i know that technology is improving itself everyday and i m sure 85W will not be enough soon.Actually i ll use this system in a small room.My whole flat is 52 sqm and the room i ll use in is maybe 30 sqm. I think 85W is enough for this size of room.

If i move to a bigger place i want to increase the power output with another amp.But how? I mean there is no input at the receiver to plug another amp. How it works? I will be really glad if some1 explains it to me.

And can i plug an amp to this receiver?

Thanks for your help from now...

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
You can't with that receiver.

You do not plug another amp into the receiver. You need a receiver with pre-amp outputs for all channels. With the pre-amp outputs the receiver does all the processing nut instead of using its amps, it sends a line level signal out the pre-out jacks. You hook those up to a seperate external amp which power the speakers.

That receiver does not have pre-outs, so you can not use seperate amplication. You might want to think about looking at a different receiver.

Burki

Agent
What about size of the room which i m going to use it in? Is it enough for me to feel the beat with this 85W receiver or i ll really change my mind and go for Pioneer's VSX-D812K which has preouts...

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
That should be fine, especially with those speakers. It takes double the amount of power to get a 3db increase in volume. So you would have to get a 170 watt amp just to see a 3db increase in volume. So the Onkyo should do you fine for awhile. It is nice to be future proof, but by the time you need more power you might want a newer receiver with more features and sound formats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks