What's new

How to power up an amp w/o trigger? (1 Viewer)

Ashford Little

Stunt Coordinator
I want to power up my main amp, which does not have a 12v trigger, and was wondering how to do that? My preamp/rec. does have a 12v trigger output, but my amp does not. What to do?

Thx

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Leave it on, or push the button, I guess....or use a monster power thingy, perhaps there's a trigger mech built in to one of those models?

Good Luck!

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
My QSC amps also do not have 12 volt triggers so what I did was modify one of my Furman Power Conditioners and installed 3 12v opto-22 relays and can control them via the Pre/Pro or my AMX control system.
Here is a Thumb nail and you can click the link for a Hi-Rez picture of the mod.

Click here for Hi Res Pic.

DaveLenhert

Stunt Coordinator
Ashford-
There is another option. If you don't have a surge protector, then getting something like a Panamax Max 5x00 might work nicely. www.panamax.com They have trigger inputs which will turn on and off several power plugs at specified delay times. This will help prevent the "popping" associated with some amps. You can do a search for them on the board, they have been discussed several times along with other options
-dbl

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Quite a few power centers specifically intended for home theater have their own 12-volt trigger. I know my Panamax units do, and I'm pretty sure some of the higher-end Monster units do also.

Jeff

Ashford Little

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your replies guys. I'll check into the power protectors, but I was also wondering if there was a cheap and simple solution that was available at your local Radio Shack?

Thx

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
If you look at the thread above it mentions a switched outlet that is available at Sears for $19.99. Plug your andp and processor into it. When you turn on your processor it will power the outlet your amp is plugged into. Go to Sears.com and seach for auto switch or item # 00924031000

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Ashford: Click Gordon's link, then click Pat's link.

You'll find the $20 Sears switcher. (Save your receipt in case you dont like it).

Ashford Little

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again, but now I've got myself worried that while the $20 switcher might work fine, I will still be unprotected against power surges. And since I don't want to lose my equipment, I'm going to have to mull this over. It's looking like a Panamax 4300 might be the solution. Anybody got one of those that they care to comment about it?

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I have two of the Max 5100's (one for my amp and one for everything else), I've been happy with them. I'm not going to tell you they make a night-and-day difference in sound quality like some might suggest :), but they do the job they were intended to do. In addition to offering surge protection and trigger operation they also have two high-current outlets for your amps. Plugging a high-current device into a regular outlet on a surge surpressor can be a bad thing because it can limit the amount of current supplied to the amp/receiver when it's needed.
If you don't have adequate surge protection right now, I would definitely recommend getting something like the Panamax 4300 rather than just a switched outlet.

Ashford Little

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jeff, but let me ask a follow up question. You mentioned "high current" switched outlets on your 5100; I'm not sure that the 4300 has that. I did speak with Crutchfield and they indicated that it could handle the load of an amp. What's the deal here?

Thx

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Ashford,
you are correct that the 4300 isnt configured by Panamax for "high current" outlets. The 5100 is the first in the line going up. Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks