How to power big speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John-Miles, Mar 18, 2003.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I am looking and drooling at my next upgrade... (a year or two away to be sure) and I am curious about something One of the speakers i ahve been looking at is the PSB Platinum T8 it says that it can ahndle 600W ........... how the hell am i supposed to feed 600 watts to a single speaker? let alone 4 of them and a center channel.

any insight?

2. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

How about some Krell Class A 750Mcx monoblocks? They are rated at 750watts into 8ohms and 1500watts into 4 ohms.

Of course, these will be sure add a little to your budget [​IMG]

But they are an option.

Neal

3. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

It being able to handle 600W doesnt mean you have to give it that power. All it means that if installed in a huge theater that requires lots of power to reach reference level SPLs this speaker will be able to handle it. In a normal sized room if the speaker sensitivity is around 90db/W/m then all you need is about 150 watts to reach reference levels. So you should only be worrying about getting 200W to it for the most part. Dont worry about its ratings as it only implies the max power the speaker can handle. You just worry about how much power going to the speakers can your ears handle. Thats all that counts.

In case you do have a commercial theater sized room then you could get something like a Cinepro 3KSE which can pump [email protected]/ch or the CAL Audio (700+W/[email protected]) amp or the Cinenova (600W/[email protected]) amp or a couple of Bryston 14BSST (900W/[email protected]) amps or any of the many pro audio digital amps with 1KW/ch power capability. Dont worry when the time comes the choices are many.

Best of luck.

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

So if i did upgrade to somethign liek these speakers i could run them in a average sized room from my Yamaha RX-V1300 without problems?

and the equipment you both suggested what exactly are those? pre amps? power amps? i must admit i dont knwo anythign about separates, ive been goign the receiver route myself.

you knwo i did some searching and PSB really should put MSRP prices on their site.... those T8's are 6500 a pair, i dont even know if thats canadian or US.... hell i cant afford 4 of those.... and the time id ahve to save up for them, not worth it for me, especially if that is american price.

5. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

The choices we are suggesting are power amps. Preamp has nothing to do with speaker ratings. And yes if your room is moderate sized and the speakers are nominally 90db sensitivity you can run them off a Yamaha receiver. If I am right PSBs are 4 ohm speakers and if that is the case the receiver will have a hard time driving them. Also I would be worried about feeding receiver power into a 4 ohm speaker as the receiver will more than likely clip at high transients and might damage the speakers in the long run. So if you upgrading to 6K speakers you must atleast run them off a 3K separate amp. That way you will atleast be assured of good clean power.

Best of luck.

6. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Just as Yogi said, those are power amps...very good and quite expensive amps at that.

I think you will definately need an amp. I don't think that Yamaha receiver will be adequate and it definately won't allow those speakers to really shine.

You could get something like the Rotel 1075, a 5 channel amp rated at 200 watts into 4 ohms. The MSRP is $999, but you should be able to get it for atleast 10% off, especially if you buy it in conjuction with the speakers. And if you wanted more power, you could get a Rotel 1095 amp at $1999 msrp. Again, it can be had cheaper.

Like Yogi said, if you are going to get 6k speakers, you should be looking at an amp also.

Neal

7. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Thanks allot guy i really appreciate the input.

Like i said i wont be getting new speakers anytime soon, and honestly id imagine i will go with cheaper ones when i do, but a power amp will likely be on the list as well [​IMG]

again thanks.

8. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I'm pretty sure the 6500 is canadian.

They are 91db efficient at 4 ohm(it looks) which isn't all that bad. A standard 200 wpc amp should drive them to insane levels providing the amp can handle the low ohm dips.

9. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

i have the psb goldis running at 600 watts a piece from the cinenova amp....i think if you did get speakers like those you should have a really powerful amp....grr...now that they came out with new speakers, that makes mine look crappy =(