How to position my 2.1 system...

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JamesAH, Jan 22, 2004.

1. JamesAH

JamesAH Agent

I am thinking about stands on both sides of my TV. The speakers would be about 5' apart. Is this to close? Should I mount them on the wall instead?

Thanks.

2. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

The "rule" is that they should be as far apart as you will be from the plane they are on. IOW - if they are in a straight line with the TV, they should be as far apart as you are from the TV. Make sense?

The reality is that it isn't critical. Put them where they sound best to you. Because you may need to adjust for your acoustics in order to minimize reflections and standing waves.

As in all cases, individual results will vary.

P.S. Mounting on the wall is generally considered bad unless you have speakers specifically designed for it.

3. JamesAH

JamesAH Agent

Anyone else?

4. JamesAH

JamesAH Agent

Getting help on audiophile forums without havint $10 million to spend is like pulling teeth...

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Nobody can tell you how far apart they really need to be, since your room is a factor. The general rule of thumb of distance away being the same as distance apart is definitely the place to start, but may not give you ideal positioning based on your surroundings. Start with that, and adjust until it sounds the way you want it.

6. JamesAH

JamesAH Agent

Going by this, wall mounts would not be a good idea since you need to screw them in, right? Since I am going to only be about 6 feet from the wall, stands would probobly be best. Is this right? Any good deals on stands at a major retailer?

Thanks.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    www.partsexpress.com carries some decent stands. Take a look at the medium and high mass 24" stands. PN 240-742 and 240-744.

8. JamesAH

JamesAH Agent

My promedia satellites are about 2 pounds each, so I doubt I need anything like that. Is there anything good in the $30 range?

Thanks.