How to polyfill my Tempest EBS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Carrigan, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Craig Carrigan

Craig Carrigan Stunt Coordinator

I have just wrapped up the main portion of my EBS box. These things are HUGE! Hopefully I will get the performance I am looking for, because I certainly didn't get the compact look!

On to my question. How does one apply the polyfill inside? Do I just stuff it in there? Do you glue it? I have the cross bracing inside; anything to look out for there? Is there somewhere I don't want to put it? I just picked up a couple bags from WalMart and figured that it wasn't as easy as just stuffing it in there, but maybe I'll be enlightened. Should I stay away from my internally mounted amp? Thanks for your help.

Craig Carrigan

2. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Guess what? Its as easy as stuffing it in there!

The only thing to watch is not stuff it too tightly around the driver or the ends of the ports but thats about it. The internally mounted amps (like a plate amp?) are just fine because their cooling is done on the outside of the enclosure with the heat sinks.

3. MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo Stunt Coordinator

Kyle,
    Is the expanded metal stuff, like ya put over the gutter to keep leaves out, ok to keep poly "in place"? screwed to the walls?

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Don't 'stuff' (fill the internal space) of a ported cabinet. It should instead be lined. The easiest way to do this is using the acoustic foam panels. These can be tacked in place with hot glue. No don't use mechanical fasteners.
    [​IMG]
    Bonded polyester batting (as opposed to loose fill) can also be attached with hot glue

5. Kyle Richardson

Question for you Thomas. You have been at this much longer than I so I respect your opinion, but how do you place enough polyfill in an enclosure to achieve about a 75% fill or even 100% fill?
    For instance: The Tempest SBB4 plans from Adire requires an enclosure 194L stuffed with 64oz of poly. In order to get 64oz of poly in there you will need to line the walls plus a bunch. As long as its not stuffed tightly around the inside edges of the ports shouldnt it be fine just stuffed inside? I don't see any other way to do it and have never had troubles in the past. What are your thoughts on this?

Michael, as Thomas said, dont use the fasteners. They'll vibrate like crazy.

6. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Hi Kyle,

Depends on the box size. With 'smaller' boxes like the Adire design, yes it's necessary to actually stuff the box. In the case of a large EBS cab (the subject of this thread); the goal is only to absorb the the high frequencies, not to change the "Q" of the enclosure by using additional sound absorbing materials

7. Craig Carrigan

Craig Carrigan Stunt Coordinator

I have a couple more questions about my new purchases. First, the ports:
    What is "full length"? How do I attach them to the box? Just glue? Screws?
    How about the sub. Screw it down? Should I use the weather stripping (putty like stuff) around the edges to seal it?
    I believe that this is the dumbest post I have made ever but I can't find any info on this type of stuff and I want to make sure I do it right. My plan is to put the sub and ports in to my box tomorrow and watch EP2 with my new sub. It should be pretty rockin!
    Thanks. [​IMG]
    Craig

8. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I think full length means you don't cut the center tube of the port. So if you buy the parts express or adire precision flared ports, then just assemble them. Assemble them with silicone or pipe cement. Some ppl use non-permanent glue in case they want to reuse the flared ends
    Use wood screws for everything that comes with holes and remember to pre-drill. The driver, and amp I used didn't come with screws so I picked up a package at home depot. I used screws that don't go all the way through the MDF.
    I didn't use weather stripping but I noticed rattling at the side of the driver when I tested for leaks. I tightened it and it stopped.

9. Brett Loomis

Brett Loomis Stunt Coordinator

Chris/Thomas/Anyone-----I am building the Tempest 214L Adire alignment and it requires 64oz of polyfill..Can you guys please clarify how I should stuff this box?? It may seem obivous but it isn't to a newbie.

Please help!

Brett

10. Brett Loomis

Brett Loomis Stunt Coordinator

Chris/Thomas/Anyone-----I am building the Tempest 214L Adire alignment and it requires 64oz of polyfill..Can you guys please clarify how I should stuff this box?? It may seem obvious but it isn't to a newbie.

Please help!

Brett

11. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

If I'm 'stuffing' a box I use a scale to measure the amount needed. Then I tear and fluff the polyfill into handfulls of ~equal density and put them in the box.

12. Kyle Richardson

Thomas you're right (as usual). I just read over the "EBS" part of the thread and it didnt register that this enclosure is too large to be "stuffed". I forgot just how large the Tempest EBS is [​IMG]