How to plug a stereo keyboard on my AV Receiver ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Leonard Pedrosa, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Leonard Pedrosa

Leonard Pedrosa Auditioning

Hi Folks,
    I have an Alesis QS6 keyboard and I would like to take advantage of the sound of my Yamaha RX V-530 already set in my HT room.
    Im afraid that something could happen to it due diferences of impedance and/or signal levels.
    Does somebody knows how I would have to plug it, the right cable, the right receiver input and if some special device to mediate this connection ?

thank you.

Leonard

2. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

What sort of outputs does the Keyboard have on it - does it have a line level output? If so, it should be fine. You could even use the headphone output if you wanted, though you may lose a bit of fidelity due to the headphone amp in the keyboard. Just keep the volume low on both the Keyboard and the receiver the first time around and slowly increase it to the levels you want.

Both a line level and a headphone socket will drive a line level input no problems.

Hope this helps.

3. Leonard Pedrosa

Leonard Pedrosa Auditioning

Hi Jonathan
    It doesn't have line output, just headphone and that standard amplifier output.
    Do you think that is safe to build stereo cable that plugs from the headphone output to the stereo tape inlet of the receiver ?

10x

4. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Yes Leonard, you're on the right path. You could probably pick up a cable with a stereo mini-plug on one end and stereo rca connectors on the other end. Or you could use some adaptor connectors. I'm assuming the headphone out jack on the keyboard isn't 1/4". Anyway, like you mentioned, come out of the headphone out on the alesis and plug into the tape input in the back of the receiver. Start with a low volume level on the headphone control on the alesis and receiver. I wouldn't turn up the volume on the alesis too much(you'll hear the signal start to ditort usually)Then you can use the receiver to fine tune the overall volume and tone. Have fun!!

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Leonard,

Good information from Jonathan and Karl about watching levels, etc., but I would skip cumbersome headphone/adapter route and cut to the chase: Use 1/4” to RCA cables connected between the keyboard’s main output (it’s typically variable) and the receiver’s front “Aux” inputs. There’s no good reason to use the keyboard’s headphone outs or the receiver’s tape monitor inputs. You’ll probably have the keep the keyboard’s output low to avoid clipping the receiver’s inputs.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt