What's new

How to play MP3 from PC to HT System (1 Viewer)

Caroline_B

Auditioning
This is a great forum - I am so glad that I discovered it. I am not certain if this is the most appropriate place to put this post, but I am not sure where this question should be posted. I will need a detailed explanation to connect anything to the receiver in our Home Theater system.

My computer is within 15 feet of the receiver used to power our HT. I want to be able to play MP3 in Music Match on my PC through the speakers in our HT system. It seems like this should be a basic connection (between the PC and the receiver), but I have no clue how to do it. Plus, frankly I constantly have problems knowing whether I should be plugging cables into the inputs or outputs on the receiver (pretty basic, huh?). I am very dependent on the components' manuals.

I don't know whether I have provided sufficient information. Any guidance would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Tim K

Second Unit
You need a Mini plug (like the kind on the end of a pair of headphones) to RCA cable. They sell them at radioshack. They are Male RCA cables. Plug the miniplug into your PC's sound card headphone or audio out jack....connect the RCA cables to the mini plug cable....connect the RCA cables to your receiver....and voila. Of course, if your sound card has RCA outputs then you can skip the miniplug route....but if your PC is like mine you need the miniplug.

John:Tam

Auditioning
Hi,

Related to this topic, is there a way to connect the digital out from my PC sound card to the optical or coax input on my reciever?

I use a sound blaster live card, which uses the mini plug as the digital out. Is there a connector out there that can do this?

Thanks in advance,
John

chris*b

Stunt Coordinator
Yes there is. You can get the adaptor to go from mini to coax from Creative I believe.

Edit: They have a mini to Toslink cable on their site. I tried to post the link, but the forum won't let me. It can be found under Soundblaster accessories.

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be careful hooking up a directly from the output of the sound card. That output is meant to drive speakers and not to be plugged into the back of audio equipment. By running speaker level outputs to the line level inputs of the reciever you could potentially do some damage to the reciever. You want to make sure your voltages, power output and impedances are compatible.
your best option is a digital media reciever like this http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/prod...roducthome.asp
There are starting to be more and more on the market, I think HP has one available for about $130.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks