What's new

How to play a WAV file on startup (1 Viewer)

Terry Wysocki

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to play the thx.wav file when my computer starts up. I could define it as the Windows startup sound but that sound always plays way before the computer has completely booted. I'd like to hear it when I can actually start using the computer. I created a shortcut to the file in my startup folder and it works fine except that the Windows Media Player (which is the default application for wav files) doesn't close after playing, it just sits there on the taskbar. Is there any way of having the wav play and then close the app that played it? I don't need any bells and whistles (no pun intended) in the player, just play the wav and get out!

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
try making this the target in a shortcut that goes in your startup folder and set the shortcut to run in a minimized window:

"C:Program FilesWindows Media Playermplayer2.exe" /play /close "c:thx.wav"

You must use the "mplayer2.exe" program. It may or may not be in the location I specified above though. Also, you will have to specify the whole path of where the "thx.wav" file is located.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I just tried it... it opens, but doesn't close. For reference... I am using Windows 98 OEM 2.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Why not just go into the Control Panel and look for the Sound/Multimedia applet. There's a "Start Windows" Sound Event choice for inserting the wave of your choice upon boot-up.

Or are you concern with the wave file playing just a few seconds too early before it's finally all booted up and ready to go?

Terry Wysocki

Stunt Coordinator
JeffR:

Thanks, it worked! BTW, I'm running 98SE and it DID close successfully. Maybe there's a difference in the versions of mplayer2.exe? One more question (I'll have to check this out): what order do the items in the startup folder execute? I don't think it's necessarily the order they appear nor alphabetically. I wonder if there's a way to control this. I have a lot of things starting up automatically and it's great to hear the sound when everything has finally settled down and ready to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks