What's new

How to play a DTS audio CD on my PC? (1 Viewer)

Brett_H

Second Unit
So I picked up a copy of the Allman Brothers "Live at Fillmore East" DTS CD only to find that my DVD player doesn't support them. I decided to try playing it on my PC, but didn't have much luck. Windows Media Player fired up and started playing, but it was nothing but static. So my question is, what do I need to play this thing?

My system specs:
Asus A7V8X with onboard audio
Windows XP
Samsung combo CD-RW/DVD-rom drive

I have the SPD/IF output from the onboard sound hooked to my receiver (H/K 520), but for some reason didn't think to check if it was passing anything to it, I was only trying to listen on the PC using the analog output.

Thanks,
-Brett.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You should try setting your HK to decode dts on the digital audio input used for the S/PDIF from the PC. You'll also have to figure out if the PC is outputting the CD's digital bitstream through the S/PDIF output.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
I was only able to play DTS CDs on my computer with WinDVD, but interestingly it sped up the music.

You should have no problems playing it with any stand-alone DVD or CD player that has a digital out. As Patrick said, check your settings.

-Christian

StephenL

Second Unit
Some sound cards resample 44.1KHz audio to 48KHz, and Windows Kmixer performs sample rate conversion, preventing bit-perfect output. Any resampling will corrupt the bit stream, preventing DTS playback. To achieve bit-perfect output you need a sound card that doesn't resample, a driver that bypasses Windows Kmixer and a player that works with the soundcard and driver. I'm using a Hoontech Soundtrack Audio DSP24 Value soundcard with optional digital I/O bracket connected via TOSLINK SPDIF to an Onkyo TX-DS898 receiver, Windows Media Player 9 or J. River Media Jukebox, and Windows Media Audio Lossless compression. Make sure all volume controls are at maximum and there is no other digital processing (volume leveling, EQ, etc).

Did you try playing the DTS Audio CD though your DVD player's digital output with your receiver set to decode DTS?

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I think it has something to do with audio resampling and it's something only top-end consumer cards (like the M-Audio Revolution and Sound Blaster Audigy2 Platinum) can do with a little tweaking. This thread on the AVS Forum discusses it a little. I remember trying it with my DTS CDs, to no avail. If you have a Playstation 2, they play them just fine.

Brett_H

Second Unit
OK, a couple more details here: first, like a dope, I posted this from work where I can't try any of this out, so I won't know if anything works until tonight when I get home. (because I know you're all just dying to know the outcome!)

I did try playing this disc in my DVD player, but it gave an error to the effect that this was a non supported disc. It's a Panasonic F85K and it has no problem passing the DTS stream from DVD-V discs, it just didn't seem to like this DTS CD.

I'm beginning to think I might be stuck on this, just because I'm not using anything fancy for sound, just the onboard audio provided by the A7V8X motherboard, which is a VIA chipset.

I'll post more when I get home, if anyone's got further suggestions, feel free to post them up.

Thanks,
-Brett.

Brett_H

Second Unit
HA!

From that other thread:

It couldn't possibly be that simple, could it?

[maxes volume in WMP]

WOOHOO! It works!

OK, I actually did a few other things before this:
turned off all EQ settings in Windows Media Player
turned off SRS effects in WMP

Turns out any of these three things (volume not at 100%, SRS or EQ on) will cause the bitstream to get messed up!

At any rate, it's working now, time to go enjoy it.

Thanks,
-Brett.

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Brett,
I have the ABB "Fillmore" DTS disc too. I hate to break it to you, but it's the worst sounding DTS title I've heard (I have about 15 of them). The remastered CD sounds better - honestly. Don't be too upset if you can't get it to play properly.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks