How to plan for future FPTV installation?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Gere, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

I have a friend who is finishing his basement and plans to add FPTV in the future. How far from the front wall should he plan to accomodate a cable run for a digital projector before drywalling the ceiling? I expect there should be some flexibility for digital, based on pj and screen size selected. How much +/- would be appropriate?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Cheers!

-Paul

2. PhilS

PhilS Stunt Coordinator

Paul, I'm not sure what you're asking. If you are asking how far from back from the screen it might be possible to place a digital projector, it depends on the screen size and the projector. There are some limits of course. For example, I don't believe that there are too many digital projectors that have a throw distance of much more than 2 times the screen width, except for the JVC DILA's. Can you give some details on the likely size of the screen and the likely location of the projector, or how deep the room is?

3. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Also his timetable would be good. PJ technology changes fast and he may be dealing with a completely different type of cable (SDI, DVI, who knows?) in the future that may be sensitive to long cable runs.

If he is serious about making the room a dedicated HT, he might consider a drop-down ceiling instead.