What's new

how to output dot-by-dot to widescreen display (1 Viewer)

Samuel_Fred

Stunt Coordinator
Hi--

I have a widescreen (15x9, not 16x9) LCD (Sharp) that I use with my PC to watch DVDs.

But I can't figure out how to get widescreen DVDs to use the maximum screen space. Resolution is best with the TV's "dot-bydot" mode, but I get an image that basically looks like a non-anamorphic DVD (bars on top/bottom and left/right). The TV's "zoom" mode strangely distorts the images, making them slightly narrower, so this is out of the question-- the zoom mode isn't preferable for best resolution anyway.

So how can I get my PC to output dot by dot using the maximum screen space? I'm running XP and have a Radeo 9200 SE video card which is recognizing my TV properly (it knows its model number). Can I make adjustments somewhere to fix this?

Many thanks!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
You can use ffdshow to output custom aspect ratios. It is a little overwhleming to use at first but it also does things like deinterlacing, denoising, sharpening, etc. to raw video.

http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Filters/...w-20021213.exe

Click codecs at the top left and select raw video, or if you know the specific codec checkmark it. Then go down to resize & aspect, check resize then specify AR. Input 15:9, click apply and see if it works. You may have to restart if it gets all weird.

Samuel_Fred

Stunt Coordinator
Great, thanks.

Actually in the meantime I use PowerStrip to set my PC's pixels to exactly my display's pixels and that did it too!

I'm still not able to zoom in on non-anamorphic DVDs, but maybe ffdsow will help with that. Do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks