how to output dot-by-dot to widescreen display

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Samuel_Fred, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Samuel_Fred

Samuel_Fred Stunt Coordinator

Hi--

I have a widescreen (15x9, not 16x9) LCD (Sharp) that I use with my PC to watch DVDs.

But I can't figure out how to get widescreen DVDs to use the maximum screen space. Resolution is best with the TV's "dot-bydot" mode, but I get an image that basically looks like a non-anamorphic DVD (bars on top/bottom and left/right). The TV's "zoom" mode strangely distorts the images, making them slightly narrower, so this is out of the question-- the zoom mode isn't preferable for best resolution anyway.

So how can I get my PC to output dot by dot using the maximum screen space? I'm running XP and have a Radeo 9200 SE video card which is recognizing my TV properly (it knows its model number). Can I make adjustments somewhere to fix this?

Many thanks!

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

You can use ffdshow to output custom aspect ratios. It is a little overwhleming to use at first but it also does things like deinterlacing, denoising, sharpening, etc. to raw video.

http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Filters/...w-20021213.exe

Click codecs at the top left and select raw video, or if you know the specific codec checkmark it. Then go down to resize & aspect, check resize then specify AR. Input 15:9, click apply and see if it works. You may have to restart if it gets all weird.

3. Samuel_Fred

Samuel_Fred Stunt Coordinator

Great, thanks.

Actually in the meantime I use PowerStrip to set my PC's pixels to exactly my display's pixels and that did it too!

I'm still not able to zoom in on non-anamorphic DVDs, but maybe ffdsow will help with that. Do you think?