How to negociate the best price?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrice D., Feb 23, 2002.

1. Patrice D.

Patrice D. Auditioning

What is the best way to have the best price when buying a receiver, speakers (front, center, rear), wires and interconnects, CD player from an authorized dealer (not on-line)?

I have already an idea about the lowest price for each components that I want but I would like to know from you which approach did you used?

I'm looking for a receiver (Marantz SR-5200 or Denon 1802), speakers from Mirage (Frx-7, rear and center) and a CD player (Marantz or Denon).

2. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

1) get a good relation with a dealer - do not waste his time, listen to his recommendation, tell him if you have somethign in your mind.

2) Tell him what you want and at what price. If he jerks you around, keep walking and do not waste your time. Go to the next one.

3) If you checked all dealers, and no one want to work with you, check your expectations - maybe you want on-line price from B&M store. Happens, but very rarely.

4) of, play phone cold turkey - call or fax page of paper with items you want to buy, offered price, and fax number to respond with full quote. Do a small bidding war :) (That is how I was buying a motorcycle - faxing dealers in 200 miles radius..)

Enjoy the search.

_zjt

3. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Develop a good relationship with the worst sales person at the dealer [I mean a person who doesn't know how to sell but does know the equipment]. Wait until the end of the month when they're worried about their commissions and make a reasonable offer.