What's new

How to mod the Sony SAWM40 and calibrating it?? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Sch.

Stunt Coordinator
I know this has been covered many times but how do i mod the sub? I mean i take off the sub? do i detach it from its cabling or what? Also what sides do i line?

I have sheet polyfill here and i believe its 1/4 thick. Is this the right stuff?

Anyway, people say they stuff it in there while others line the walls. I mean do they literally stuff it in thereso it loose and what not

If anyone could give me the run down, it would be greatly appriciated.

Lastly, how much of a differene will i notice because ive been trying to calibrate it with my VR-507 reciever but cant figure out how to adjust the lfe level and cut-off frequecy level. On my sub, i have the settings right now on the cut-off knob all the way up (200hz i believe) and the base level knob around 1-2 o clock. The sub is on my sub pre out with a sub cable (arrow on cable pointing towards sub). The setting is -1 or 02 on my receiver.

David Richards

Auditioning
i think the question jose now is, how many cubic feet inside of a wm40? i dont have this statistic

then we might say stuff 1.5pounds of polyfill in there any witch way, dont block the port airflo tho..

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You said to comment your your signature, so I will: Listing your gear in your signature is not allowed. :D It complicates the search function.

Fernand

Agent
I have a SW-M40 too and the way I did it after a lot of research from fellow users at audioreview.com was as follows:
1.Buy a bag of polyfill and a can of adhesive spray at Wal-Mart (arts & crafts section).
2.Remove the driver.
3.Apply the adhesive to the walls of the sub and stick about an inch and a half of polyfill to them (don't forget the floor of the sub too).
4.Leave it to dry for about 15 minutes to let the fumes dissipate.
*Don't forget not to block the port of the sub!!
I don't know how the other fellas did it but its way better this way than to pour an entire bag of polyfill in the cabinet. I used half of the bag with this process. Remember that you can't overstuff it neither!!
My .02! Blink Blink :D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Two things:

Blocking the port is basically irrelevant. And you CAN overfill the enclosure.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
John is correct. Too much polyfil will cause a reduction in sensitivity and thus lower overall output. A general rule of thumb is to use 1-1.5lbs. of polyfil per cubic foot. This is more for a sealed enclosure though. For a ported enclosure it's generally better to just line the walls or just stuff it loosely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks