how to match center speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph Anlacan, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Joseph Anlacan

i have a b&w dm305 for my L&R mains and a b&W cc3 for my center. i've heard of the new 303 and LCR3 and want to upgrade. would anyone know if it's worth the upgrade? also, if i only upgrade either mains or center, would the speakers still match?

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

All "timbre matched" HT Speakers by one Manufacture have these two things in common, . . .
    1) Identical tweeter size (high frequency driver),
    2) Identical tweeter material (All - soft dome; or titanium; or aluminum; etc.)
    To a lesser extent, the crossover point, . . . if the 4 point speakers (Front R&L and Surround R&L) are identical, then the crossover might be slightly different for the Center channel speaker.
    Just noticed your from the Philippines, . . . how far is San Juan from Batangas, Batangas??
    Phil
    ------------------
    http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra
    [Edited last by Phil Iturralde on July 14, 2001 at 10:13 AM]

3. Joseph Anlacan

Thanks for the input. So I guess I would have to replace all three front speakers because the B&W 303 uses different drivers from the older 300 series. How important is timbre matching when it comes to the surrounds?
    BTW, Batangas, Batangas is about 2 1/2 hours drive from San Juan, Metro Manila. There's a San Juan in Batangas but that's another place. You know somebody there?

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm not really familiar with the 305 and 303. Is the 303 going to be a bookshelf? If so, the best way to go would be to get a third 303 for the center. I have three DM602s as my front soundfield, and let me tell you there is absolutely no substitute for identical speakers. I love them. My rears are 601S2, they're close but not exactly the same. IMO it's pretty important for the rears to match. I noticed a huge difference when I went from my previous 302 rears to the 601S12 speakers.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Any center channel speaker that is not identical to the L/R mains is a major compromise. I had "center" speakers for years, when I decided to give an identical a try, and now I will never go back. Let your ears decide. I agree that in some situations it is imporrible to have an identical center. While this may be an acceptible substitute for some, including Dolby Labs, the ideal situation is identicals.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm

7. Joseph Anlacan

The B&W 305 is a floor stander. It would be difficult to place an identical one as the center speaker. Any ideas on how to solve this?

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

This is where the compromise comes in unfortunately, and one reason that I like bookshelf speakers. I'd recommend the LCR3 if they make one.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm