What's new

How to make your own interconnects? (1 Viewer)

Brian AM

Stunt Coordinator
I have a couple of pairs of bettercables silver serpents that are .5m in length (btw, I'm not sure who rests components on their amp where .5 meters would be a sufficient length). They came along with the amp I bought used. I am interested in buying longer interconnects maybe 1 meter or 2, long enough to get between widely spaced shelves on an audio rack. They will be connecting an amp to the pre-outs of a receiver. I want something better than can be purchased at Best Buy, but I cant see spending $50 on a pair of 2m interconnects. How would you go about making your own???? or in the end, will I just end up angry with solder everywhere and have to put up the $150 for a set of cables anyway?

Brian AM

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info Bob.... I don't mind spending money on the tools. I think I'll give it a shot.... :)

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
I think DIY cables is the only way to go. You can always sell a few cables on E-bay to recoup your investement in tools and probably ending paying for your own cables also.
I think some of these online companies just charge too much.
I mean 99 dollars for 1 meter... ouch.
Kevin C. :)

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Yes the DIY route is the way to go if you are making a bunch of cables but otherwise the cost isnt worth it. A check on e-bay will show just how cut throat and competive the cable biz is.

Guess $99.00/1m may be expensive if its a simple design that uses cheap cable and materials. A JR twisted pair design may sell for $165/1m which appears expensive until you figure out how long it takes to make. I've made some cables that take hours to make and fail to see how some of these custom cable makers make a living at it.

Brian AM

Stunt Coordinator
I just can't see buying 1 meter interconnects only to have to move the amp farther from the preamp and buy a new set of cables.... Seems like a never ending battle....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks