How to make video cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick DeNatale, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Rick DeNatale

Rick DeNatale Auditioning

I'm just about to start pre-wiring our new house with both home theater and structured wiring.

We are going to have a TV niche over the fireplace and put the A/V rack in a built-in cabinet on a perpendicular wall.

I'm planning to run both s-video and composite from the A/V rack to the niche.

Is there any reason why I can't assemble the composite cables myself? I'd like to avoid drilling holes any larger than I have to in order to get the connectors to pass through.

It seems that the component video cables could be made up with RG-6. The only problem seems to be how to terminate them. A quick google search uncovered several adapters for converting an F connector to a male RCA. But I haven't found any direct RCA connectors for RG-6 coax.

Would the adapters work? Or even better is there a source of RCA connectors for RG-6?

2. Christian Dolan

Christian Dolan Stunt Coordinator

Rick,

When I briefly did installation, we used quad-shielded solid-core RG-6. It comes on spools, so you can terminate it however you like. We soldered our RCA ends, but some companies (like Canare) have crimp-on RCS connectors. You can use RG-6 for any kind of coaxial video connection, be it composite, y/c (with the appropriate splitters), or component. Hope this helps.

-Christian

3. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

4. Rick DeNatale

Rick DeNatale Auditioning

Christian and Kevin,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Pushing my luck. Is there a way to make your own s-video cables?

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

There was a paper that floated around here a year or so ago that discouraged people from making their own SVideo cables. The main argument was that it was very difficult to make the connections, maintain the twists & shielding at the end of the small SVideo connector. You can make up for skill with the proper tools for Composite/Component cables, but you really want someone skilled for your SVideo cable.

You can save lots of money by going to the custom sites and order the pre-built SVideo cables.

On the drilling holes exactly the size you need issue: well...nice thought. But professionals dont do this. They often install electrical box's and run all wires through this. This gives them room for more cables and a place to shove slack wire. But now they can run down and buy $0.50 blank outlet covers and cut openings for the wires and use this to create a slick looking installation.

I would also strongly recommend you dont run composite. Run a HD-quality Component cable set. This allows you to future-proof the nitch for HD/Progressive signals. Just use one of the cables for Composite to start (They are the same wire after all).

Good Luck.

6. Quinn Granfor

Quinn Granfor Auditioning

I currently build my video cables using Belden 8281 (the best I've found) and Canare crimp-type 75-ohm RCA connectors. The Canare connectors are about $2.50 a piece if I remember correctly and Belden 8281 is actually cheap when bought in 500' rolls. www.markertek.com is the place to go for both items. Quick service and decent prices.

7. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

S-video cables are a MAJOR pain to make -- definitely not worth it in my opinion.

8. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Quinn, isnt the 8281 an RG59 cable? If so, wouldnt running RG6 be the better choice??