What's new

How to make flared PVC ports? (1 Viewer)

BrianJ>Y

Stunt Coordinator
Subject says it all...but I do have a couple more questions. Flared ports are necessary right? Also is a 5" over a 4" port a better choice or just overkill for a 3.5cu-ft av12? Lastly, precision ports (sold at partsexpress) advertise a "3db" gain, am I correct in assuming any properly designed port will do this or is their product truly "special"?

-Brian

TonyiBe

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

I have experimented with both types of ports and can truly say that the precision Flared ports are way better than just PVC. The air can rush out of them Faster.

BrianJ>Y

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Tony,

For my 3.5cu-ft box tuned to 20hz, I would need a port length of about 21.26" If the Precision port only extends to 17" what should I do? Maybe add some pvc to it?

-Brian

TonyiBe

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

Remember with the flared ports you take the # winsid gives you and you subtract 5" from the #. My 4" Flared Precision port is 18" long with both flares attached. The center piece is 12"... adding PVC to the port should be fine to extend it. You use PVC cement to glue the precision ports anyways.... I am almost done with my new enclosure and will show you some picks when done....

Im Audii,
Tony

BrianJ>Y

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for that info Tony, I was reading the instructions off psp-inc.com and didn't bother to read after the equation...

"3. Trim center tube to 5" shorter than Lv from step two."

Missed that...hehhe. Looking foward to some pictures of your new box. If you don't mind me asking, do you have any plans for the finishing yet?

TonyiBe

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

just got done with the box and It is AWESOME. I am painting it tomorrow morning ;) I will send you some picks if you want.

P.S. My neighbor came over and said to please turn it down, they could hear it in their house. To me this sucks, because i haven't even built the enclosure for the AV15 yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks