How To Make Dolby Digital audio CDs??

Discussion in 'Computers' started by David.DJ, May 14, 2003.

1. David.DJ

David.DJ Auditioning

i was wondering is it possible to make Dolby Digital music or is it possible to convert mp3 or audio cd-->Dolby Digital-->audio cd. Thanks

2. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

3. RobBenton

RobBenton Stunt Coordinator

why would you want to do this?

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Dolby Digital test signals on a CD-R is one example. Pretty expensive software though.

5. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

Actually, you can create Dolby Digital Audio Cd's using freeware software. The only freeware software that I know that can enocode/decode AC3 & transcode other audio formats is Besweet which is located at http://dspguru.doom9.net/ .

6. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    I'm afraid I fall into the "why would you want to do that?" camp as well.

In what case would you have a system that can play back AC-3, but not DVD's?

There are numerous DVD's with AC-3 test tones (including all DVD's with the THX Optimode), as well as PCM CD's.

CD players won't be able to playback an AC-3 file anyway; you could do DTS on a CD, because it acts like PCM, but a CD player wouldn't even recognize an AC-3 file.

Maybe if you were more specific about what you were trying to do, we could suggest a workable solution.

7. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

8. Edwin_C

Edwin_C Stunt Coordinator

nuendo. it's a program used to mix DD and DTS soundtracks. not free though, well.. not free by normal means.

dts doesn't "act" like pcm. cd players read and send digital data. if it goes through the digital out, it bypasses the dac. the dac is what decodes pcm into the sound you hear, if it doesn't go through that.. then it's all dependant on the source end.

9. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk

10. TyC

TyC Stunt Coordinator

I found an article about the process: Burning For Surround by Mike Sokol.

Also, you can download and burn Swedish Radio programs in this format. I made my own "Sveriges Multikanalsljud" disc unsuccessfully. The player I had on hand played my PCM warning track but not the the DD and DTS tracks.

11. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

I like to add a few things about Besweet which I forgot to mention in this thread. Even though Besweet can encode audio files such as wave files, etc into AC3 files, you can only encode audio files such as wave files, etc into 2 channel & 5.1 channel AC3 files.

DTS files are a different story. There is no freeware software to encode DTS. If you want to encode DTS audio, you have to buy expensive software such as Surcode-CD DTS, Surcode-DVD DTS, et al. The reason why there are no freeware DTS encoders is that the DTS spec's are not made public (you can get the spec's from DTS if your willing to pay thousands of dollars for the spec). Besweet can encode/decode AC3 because the AC3 specs are avaliable (anyone can get the spec's.)

12. TyC

TyC Stunt Coordinator

I tested my Swedish Radio disc in another player and it worked perfectly.

13. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

BTW, the new version of MyDVD5 now can convert WAV to AC3 audio, and you can make your own DVD-A discs, basically [​IMG]

14. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

Is it possible to extract the DD and/or DTS tracks from music Video DVD's that I own and write the tracks onto CDR for playback on my DVD Video player ?

Sort of a 5.1 'Best Of' collection w/o the video.

I have purchased and own several concert DVD-Video DVD's and do not want to infringe upon anyone's copyright. Wouldn't this be the same as making 'collection' cd's of music CD's that I own ?

15. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

Actually all I need to know is how to write the tracks to cd so that they will play...

16. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk

17. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I still haven'tgotten around to trying Besweet, but I hope it works well..

What I'm looking at doing is putting voices in the 5 main channels having a discussion about the upcoming moving. I can't figure it out YET.

Brent

18. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I have DD encoder (the old soft encode) that cretaes the DD file as a "wav" wrap, so a program like Nero will burn it (as long as it is a 44.1 file) as if it were CD audio- and any cd player with a digital out will supply a DD bitstream no problem.

I authored some specific test tones for testing rerouted bass vs LFE in order to determine LFE pad position and posted them on this forum. Dozens of people were able to d/l, burn and use them.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=81468

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=64024

So there is an appeal to doing this, and it's not hard.

-Vince

19. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator