How to make Divx files run better...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jason Adams, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    Hey...I have a 300 PII processer, and when ever I play Divx encoded video, the video lags behind the audio, and it moves in sort of slow motion. Does anyone know how to circumvent this?

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

A P2-300MHz processor? Oh man, how can you play any DIVX at all? You might need something in the 1.5GHz range, but a couple of guys in the Extreme Overclocking thread would vehementaly disagree with me. [​IMG]

Practically speaking, a P3-733MHz machine might be able to play a fair amount of DIVX movies without choking, but some of the higher-quality encodes are pushing the 2GHz range for playback (the high-quality trailers at DIVX.com are a good example).

So basically, an upgrade might be in order here...

3. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

i have never run across a divx file that i could not play on one of my pIII 800mhz machines.

of course it has decent amount of memory and a ok video card.

you need more processing power.

4. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

i would have to agree with the previous posts. a PII 300mhz processor is going to choke, especially with the latest codecs. do you have a videocard?

5. Gary Neuwirth

heh..you could always buy a DVD player that can play divx avi files burned on a cdr or dvdr. They're pretty cheap now.

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

True Gary - but unfortunately I've run into a fair number of DIVX files that refuse to play properly on my Momitsu V880 DVD player - some DIVX movies are encoded with weird audio codecs (Ogg, WMA, etc.) or are using a special DIVX/XVID motion compensation flag that a lot of (last year's?) DIVX DVD players do not support.

A modded XBOX might do the trick though... [​IMG]

7. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

yeah a faster proc will help you out. pc's are cheap, you can get a pretty good entire system for around 500 bucks from Dell.

8. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Try using the DivX Player rather than your favorite 3rd party media player. My laptop is showing its age and chokes on DivX files when I play them through Zoom, but the bundled DivX Player always gives me smooth playback.

9. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    I'll think I'll try that, Rob.