What's new

How to make component cables? (1 Viewer)

Rick Simpson

Agent
Does anyone have any info where i could order the supplies
to make my own RGB component cables and the how to,thanks

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I am assuming that you do not want to use rg-6 cable with the F-RCA adaptors at each end. They work very nicely. I would opt for that for long distances where a custom-type cable would cost major $$$.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Rick,
There is a guy on this forum who is selling his Canare
cable making tools right now in the hardware for sale
section! Check it out for a great deal on authentic
Canare cable cutters and crimpers to make oxygen free
crimps on Canare cable ends.
Also check out www.partsexpress.com they sell anything
you can think of for the Do It Yourself Cable maker!
Or you could just buy a pair of AR Pro Series Component
cables from parts express which are on sale TODAY and
they will be as good if not better than anything your
going to make and they will cost less.
------------------

PomingF

Second Unit
I made my own 25 ft set from Radio Shack parts. RG6 cables, screw on F-connectors & F-RCA adaptors. If you can put heat shrinks over the cable/F-connector junctions it would even be better.
PF

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Chris White's page is fantastic. Over the last year I have slowly bought the stripper and crimp tools and some cable and Canare plugs.
Another local to HTF member needed a 30' cable to go from his DVD player to his Sony projector. It took about 20 minutes to run the cable, strip and crimp the connectors on. It worked fine the first time and even later when his progressive-scan DVD player arrived.

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
You can also save quite a few dollars on the tools. The Ideal industries stripper that Lowes sells will strip the RG6 perfectly for the Canare connector. Ideal also makes a crimp die that will do the center pins perfectly as well. I had to special order the die via Lowes though. The die was about 20 bucks. The stripper was 15. The stripper requires you to adjust the blades in it to strip is just right in all three places. Once you get them adjusted...YOUR IN THERE. Chris, I dont know if you saw in the cable thread at AVS that i posted this info for ya.. :)

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
I’d also like to thank Chris for saving me all the research time, I finally ordered the materials and replaced all my Rat Shack cabling, this Canare plugs are the best, I highly recommend making your own cables, you’ll get the best interconnects at a price you can’t beat plus that DIY feeling. :)
Brian
I didn’t order the stripper since I’ve terminated more coax that I care to remember but now that you found a more reasonably priced equivalent at Lowes I’ll pick one up to cut down assembly time in my future projects, Thanks for the tip
PS: Guys Canare’s catalog lists Belden cables 1189A, 9290 and Commscope 5731 as compatible with the Canare 5CFB plug, have you used any of this cables? How do they compare with Canare’s? I’m hoping to find other RG6 cable choices that I may be able to pick up at my local Graybar.

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
The stripper appears to be a stock item. The specific die that works with the center pin is what i needed to special order.. I think the stripper is called a 2 step but it does it with one pass after the blades are adjusted right

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Alfonso: Where did you find this list of alternate cables for the Canare plugs? I'd love a copy of this list or catalog. I also have a GreyBar electronics near my home and would love to just run down and buy what I need.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
Bob:When I ordered the C5F plugs from Zack’s I requested the latest Canare catalog, you can access it online and find the reference cable chart; Go to Canare.com and click on “catalog 10” in the right upper corner, do a “search by page” and type 17, then click on the PDF file and find the reference chart at the bottom under RCAP-C5F (plugs). (Link below)
I just compared specs between all three RG6 cables, and in my limited capacity interpreting specs Belden’s 1189A Quad PVC looks very good but I think Canare’s is better, what do you guys think?
http://www.canare.com/catreqframe.html
Link Removed
Link Removed

JoshFink

Auditioning
You can also save quite a few dollars on the tools. The Ideal industries stripper that Lowes sells will strip the RG6 perfectly for the Canare connector. Ideal also makes a crimp die that will do the center pins perfectly as well. I had to special order the die via Lowes though. The die was about 20 bucks. The stripper was 15. The stripper requires you to adjust the blades in it to strip is just right in all three places. Once you get them adjusted...YOUR IN THERE. Chris, I dont know if you saw in the cable thread at AVS that i posted this info for ya..
Do you happen to know the model # of the die for the center pins. When I was making cables before, that was the only problem I ever encountered.

Thanks,

Josh

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
The Ideal crimp die that will work on the center pin is #30-593. I had to special order it at Lowes however. They did not stock the die. I have used it and it works perfectly! It cost me about 20 bucks if I remember right

Kvit Lim

Agent
WOW! this post has opened my eyes to the wonders

of DIY,

Category 5 VenHaus speaker cables here i come!!

lol

major kudos to these guys!

Rik P

Stunt Coordinator
i built my own cables using Canare cable and the RCAP-C5F connectors. If you have the die for the shield and not the centerpin you can use some silver solder instead on the center pin, i picked up a small role for 5$.
Please no Solder VS. Crimp wars.:D

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
I had originally started doing the cables with solder. Spending the 20 bucks on the die for center pin as the best 20 i spent. Made it SO easy to DIY these cables..

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
In the past couple of years my son & I have ran over 500' of quad-shielded RG6 about the house.

When you are saying this tool works for RG-6 or that stripper is good for RG-6 or RG-59, does this include the Quad-Shielded version as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks