How to make a VCD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JenaroM, Feb 15, 2002.

1. JenaroM

JenaroM Stunt Coordinator

I have these old Beta, VHS, and 8mm home video tapes that I want to preserve. My idea (if someone has a better one, please help) is to digitize them and put them onto VCDs that I can play in any (or most) DVD players.

Which encoder should I use for TV viewing? MPEG2? And what must I include on the CD so that the DVD player can play it?

I have a Sony Digital 8 Handycam, and connect it to the PC via Firewire and I have Adobe Premiere 6.

2. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Jenaro,
    I have found VCDHelp to be a tremendous help. There is a wealth of information and a great "how-to" section.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Digitizing is the hardest part... the cleaner the source, the better the final product. The final product will be 352x240, MPEG-1 (VCD) or 480x480, MPEG-2 (SVCD). VCD holds longer movies, but at lesser quality. SVCD holds less video, but at higher quality. I generally use VCD, but if you have a large screen setup, I'd seriously consider SVCD.
    Once you have your video on your PC, convert it to a standard compliant VCD MPG file using TMPGEnc. Select either VCD (NTSC) or SVCD (NTSC). Convert.
    Use the VCD templates in either EZ CD Creator or Nero to burn the disc.

4. JenaroM

JenaroM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your help...I'll try these at home on the weekend.

5. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

I have acquired several screeners over the past few weeks, all in SVCD format. I have to say, the quality is near DVD... I was completely amazed at how good they looked.