What's new

How to make a DVD-RAM video disk playable in Panasonic RP91? (1 Viewer)

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
I have a Panasonic RP91 and a Panasonic LF-D311 DVD-RAM/-R drive.

I know the RP91 works fine with DVD-RAM as I have played one disc back successfully from a Hitachi DVD-RAM camcorder. Unfortunately, at the time I didn't have a DVD-RAM PC drive so I couldn't see how the file structure was organized.

How do I create a DVD-RAM on my PC so that the RP91 will play it?

I tried just backing up a non-encrypted DVD-video to DVD-RAM (ie. transferred over the VIDEO_TS file directory with everything in it) but that didn't work. This was using UDF 2.0, which apparently the RP91 understands only. (The RP91 doesn't understand UDF 1.5.)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Most set top DVD players cannot read DVD-RAM

If your player is capable, then you need a DVD Authoring Program

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
iDVD works for writing to my DVD-RAM, but that obviously isn't going to help you out. (straight VOB files can't be imported)

Does Roxio Toast work?? It's supposed to be able to write DVD-Ram on the Mac. Perhaps it does the same on PC.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
iDVD works for writing to my DVD-RAM, but that obviously isn't going to help you out. (straight VOB files can't be imported)

Does Roxio Toast work?? It's supposed to be able to write DVD-Ram on the Mac. Perhaps it does the same on PC.
Well, I have an iBook but iDVD 2 won't work with a G3 supposedly or with an external drive.

Toast seems to create UDF 1.5 discs if I am understanding things correctly, and my RP91 is only UDF 2.0 compatible. Furthermore, OS X doesn't seem to be able to read UDF 2.0 discs created on my PC, whereas UDF 1.5 discs work great.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
By the way, do these discs play either on your Mac or in your set top player? Do you know if they're UDF 1.5 or 2.0?

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Well, I have an iBook but iDVD 2 won't work with a G3 supposedly or with an external drive.

I think you need a G4 for Altivec instructions in the program, there is a patch(not by Apple) to allow use of external firewire DVD-R/DVD-RAM drives with iDVD 2.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
It just states Universal Disk Format in Show Info.

They play in both my Panasonic RP91 and the Apple DVD player. I wasn't able to test what sorts of video can be imported. Last time I used the Monsters Inc. trailer in iDVD 1, this time I just made a quick slide show and added an mp3 track for the audio in iDVD 2. It worked as made in both instances.
Hmmm... That's interesting. That would suggest that it's creating UDF 2 disks, although the last time I tried a UDF 2 disk (from my PC), it didn't work. If fact my iBook wouldn't even recognize the disk.

If you have time, can you give me a directory listing of what's on the disk? Ie. Folders and filetypes.

I've been told that it's the DVD-VR format for these discs, but I don't exactly know what these are.

As for iDVD 2, I wonder if it would still work on a G3 with the patch. I've been told that DVD Studio Pro does work with a G3 despite the fact that the specs say a G4 is required. It just runs very slowly.

Anybody know where the patch is? If so I'd be willing to drop the $20 for iDVD 2.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Well, finally success!

I did a direct backup of a 3.5 GB non-encrypted DVD from my iBook's DVD reader to my external DVD-RAM drive, using Toast.

The disc played fine in my Panasonic RP91, complete with all the menus and everything.

The strange part is my PC says it's a UDF 1.5 disc, yet it still works fine in the Panasonic. I was told it needs UDF 2.0. The other strange part is it doesn't play in either the iBook or the PC, but yet the standalone is fine with it.

The computers do read the data though. The directory structure is identical to a normal DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread