How to load up some OLD games from hard drive?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Todd Hochard, May 25, 2004.

1. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I recently felt like playing Wizardry (VII- Crusaders of the Dark Savant), and I figured I'd dump the two floppies onto the hard drive first.

Well, I can't figure out how to load it this way. Even if I change the install drive, it looks for the floppies.

Ideas?

Todd

2. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Do you know if the floppies had copy protection? If so, you may be out of luck if the copy protection relies on some goofy hardware timing or something.

Or maybe the program is written to access the floppies directly for whatever reason. In that case, you might be able to use a PC emulator/VM that supports virtual floppies. You copy the floppy sectors into a file of the same size and "load" the file as a floppy. You can have both A and B drives. Check out Virtual PC, VMWare, Bochs, and DosBox. The last two are free. One advantage is that when run the emulator in Windows (or a Mac or Linux), you can play the game in a window.

3. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

Check for any configuration files that may be present. They may specify to look at the A: drive for data. Just re-route this to point to the c: drive or wherever you have the data.

I had to do this for an old dos game one time.