What's new

How to learn the basics about speaker and sub calibration? (1 Viewer)

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
I have finally embarked on my long anticipated journey in creating my own Home Theater in my finished basement. I have been dreaming of this since I was 19 and completed my first 5.1 system. I am going to be using an M&K 150 system with a M&K 350 sub and an SVS PB-12 plus 2 sub. I am getting the BenQ 8700 and have a Carada 96' screen. My room is a weird shape and not ideal for HT but it will just have to do.;) It is an L-shaped room and the theater area is the longer part of the "L". It is 23" long and the width varies from the wide open area in the front of the theater, to the seating area which is only 6 feet wide in the middle. The back part of the seating area is actually wide open. I have two recliners in the front about 12 1/2 feet from the screen. Then in the back I have a small couch on an 8' pedestal that is about 20 ft from the screen. The ceiling is only 6 1/2 ft. It is far from an ideal acoustic situation. Unfortunately I don't know very much at all about calibrating all the equiptment (especially the subwoofers). The satellite speakers should be fairly easy to calibrate but it seems very complicated to tweak the subs to get the best possible sound out of them. I like lots of super low bass but I don't want it to take away from the overall effect and sound "Boomy." What kind of literature should I look for the educate myself in creating the best possible sound in my environment? I also would like some info in calibrating projectors. I am a DIYer and I can't afford to pay professionals to come over and make it perfect. I am just happy to be able to get the kind of equipment I mentioned above. :) If anyone could give me some advise on where to look I would greatly appreciate it. I know there are so many knowledgeable people on this board who have already helped me an enormous amount.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Have you tried the primer and FAQ, i believe vince has a good starter on calibration etc.

Another general acoustical book that I think is required reading for any audio enthusiast is F Alton Everest's Master Handbook of Acoustics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks